News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: On the pill, missed period, negative pregnancy test

Cielo - Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:18 am

My periods have run like clock work since I have been on the pill. I should have started my period this past Wednesday(11/21) and it should have ended today on Sunday (11/25). I have not yet gotten my period. I have not missed any pills during the past month. I took three home pregnancy tests between Friday and Saturday. They were all negative. I did a quart of drink sea salt and water that morning before I took the tests. Could that have affected the home pregnancy tests and I could still be pregnant? Should I continue taking the pill as normal or wait until I get my period? I am supposed to start a new pack today. Please advise. One more thing, I did have sex while I was on my period last month and during my week off the pill.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:36 pm

User avatar Hello,
I doubt you are pregnant and I would encourage you to continue the pill as you are supposed to. Even if by some slim chance you are pregnant, this will not harm the baby and continuing the pill on a regular basis will be most effective in protecting you from pregnancy next month. Also, it should not be a problem having sex while on your period. The primary action of birth control pills is to prevent ovulation, so it is very unlikely (though not 100%) that you will not become pregnant when you take the pills as directed. Of course this means in your case, having a week "off" but you don't need to avoid intercourse then either.

If you are one of the rare persons who gets pregnant while taking the pill perfectly, it is possible the test just is not showing the result yet. Wait a week and try again if you are worried or if you develop any symptoms of pregnancy - nausea, breast tenderness, etc. Don't worry about drinking the salt water. That would not affect your test.

Good luck.
 Cielo - Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 am

thank you very much for such a timely response.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:03 pm

User avatar You are welcome.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here