Question: Missed period on birth control

lchip - Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:43 am

I just started Ovcon 35, and this month I missed my period. Never in my life have I missed a period, and I am concerned.

I had sex without a condom in the middle of my pack, but I used spermicide and the pull-out method. I've never missed a pill and have taken them within 2 hours or so of the daily time (8:00) that I take them. All other sexual encounters have occured with a condom, and sometimes condom and spermicide.

After starting this pill, I had a lot of spotting.

I've had cramping as if my period was to come, but nothing happened. Is it even a possibility that I may be pregnant, or could this just be caused by the hormonal changes?
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:24 am

User avatar Hi!

Missing a period does not always mean that you are pregnant. If you do miss a period, think about how likely a pregnancy is. Also consider the risks related to continuing birth control pills. Pregnancy is more likely:

1. in the first few months of Pill use
2. if you missed taking any Pills
3. if you are taking another medication (especially antibiotics)
4. if you have been sick (vomiting and/or diarrhea)

If you forgot one or more pills and do not have a period that month, it is recommended that you have a sensitive pregnancy test done at a clinic.

If you miss two periods in a row, it could either be normal or a sign of pregnancy. Pregnancy tests are recommended right away. If you become pregnant while on The Pill, there is probably no risk of birth defects.

Hope this helps.

bill
 lchip - Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:16 am

Is it only possible to get your period during the "inactive" pills, or could it still come in the middle of the pack?

I took a pregnancy test and it was negative...and like I said, I still had spermicide and used the pull-out method once. I feel cramping just as if I am about to get my period, but nothing has happened yet.

There has been no vomiting, diarreah, or anything like that....my doctor said some people just don't get their periods on the pill, does that mean I could be fine?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:51 am

User avatar Hi!

Menstruation usually happens during the hormonal withdrawal period during the inert pill session of oral contraceptives. But it can happen irregularly too. As long as the pregnancy test is negative, the chances are 99% you're not pregnant, and just fine.

bill
 happylife - Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:45 pm

Question,
I have been on birth control for a year and a 1/2. I had sex and the condom broke, i went to the gyno and got checked and i was fine. I was worried about my birth control bc i was put on amoxicillin during week 2 of my pack, but had was taken off a week later. When i went to the doctor the day after i had sex i took a test there and i was negative. Just to play it safe I did Plan B about 24 hours after sex. During this time I had just started my inactive (week 4) pill. My period normally don't come till the last 4 or 3 days, but this time around I had no period. On Saturday I took another pregnancy test an was negative (6 days after sex). I;m still worried, for one bc i didnt have my period. Should I be?
 homer - Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:44 am

I have been on birth control for about three years. The past two months I have not recieved my period. I am getting a little worried. I took one pregnancy test, but it was negative. I have green yellow discharge. What is going on? I just started college, and have been getting used to a new schedule. I just don't know what is going on and I am worried. Please help.
 ILoveMyBoys - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:59 pm

I have a similar situation. I have been taking Kariva for almost a year but at the end of March I finished my last of the three packets an was finishing my period. I couldn't get the birth control for almost two weeks an didn't have any sexual relations with my spouse for that time but when I did get the birth control I started it like I did before around the same time as I always did, a few times I was a few minutes late but nothing bad, about half way threw the first pack of the birth control I ended up having intercourse but I didn't think much into using a condom since we were very safe about the pull out method. I was suppose to have my period on the 22nd or the 23rd of April but have yet to have it an I'm already toward the end of the month (26th). I'm wondering I'm pregnant, even if the First Response tests saying I'm not. I took two an they both came out negative. Seeing as I was still on my birth control I was even wondering if that would effect the response of being pregnant or not.
 ILoveMyBoys - Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 pm

ILoveMyBoys - Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:19 pm

I have a question.

I've been on Kariva for almost a year now an in March I finished my last pack an had my period as normal. But I couldn't get my next three packs for two weeks cause I wasn't home an was in another state. I didn't even have the prescription number for the pills. I finally got them an began to take them. I did have sexual intercourse with my spouse but we used the pull out method most of the time. I am aware of most of the side effects of Kariva an was wondering if me starting the pills late was causing to throw off my period. Maybe even making me miss one period. Its almost the end of April an I have still yet to get my period. I usually start at the begin or at the end of every month. I even tried a home pregnancy test, First Response, the one with two tests. I tried them both an they both came out negative. But I am still unsure an I'm wondering if I should even go to the clinic an maybe try that. But I'm also wondering if I'm just over reacting or paranoid.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 2:31 pm

User avatar To happylife,

Plan B is a powerful hormone and it often disrupts your normal cycle so I suspect that is what is happening. It can take a few months for this to level out again, or it could be just a month.

For future information: Amoxicillin has not been shown to adversely affect oral contraceptive effectiveness. Since Rifampin (rarely used except in TB) does interfere, it was originally thought that all antibiotics might. Great media attention made us worry a lot, but over time it has been shown to not be a concern with the usual types of antibiotics.

Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 2:34 pm

User avatar Hello Homer,
Women's cycles can vary considerably, with or without birth control pill use. Of course pregnancy in a sexually active, fertile female is always a slim possibility (higher with imperfect use) so if you continue to miss your period, repeat the test weekly if you like. Stress can affect your cycles so this is a possibility.

Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 2:47 pm

User avatar To ILoveMyBoys,

I think it is unlikely you are pregnant though the "pull out method" is not completely reliable. Usually seven days on the pill pretty much assures you will not ovulate but starting them when you did definitely can affect your cycle and could be the cause for a missed or delayed period. The pregnancy tests measure hcg levels in pregnancy so they are not affected by you taking the pill so you should be quite comfortable with this result. Rarely, women don't have high enough hcg to pick up for a few months but usually the tests are quite reliable.

Repeat the test if you want each week until you have a period, especially if you experience any other signs of pregnancy.

LindsayUCF - Sat May 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Hello Doctors,

Please let me explain my situation. For a year I had been taking Seasonique (the 3 month packs), and my last period was during the last week of March when I took my last row of pills in the pack. However, i was unable to afford to purchase my next set of 3 month pills so I decided to just stop it after the last row of the white pills which was the week I had my period in march.

I am just curious because I have not received my period yet and it is now May 9th, My fiance and I have been using condoms, and there was one time that when he pulled out, the condom came off but I was sure that not much, if not nothing had entered. That was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Since then I started feeling like I was going to start my period, I had all the symptoms, however it never came. Then I started feeling nauseous but never threw up. I have NOT experienced increased urination. I do not feel nauseous every day just every once in a while. I have also felt a little discomfort in my lower stomach. Also my breasts have felt more sensitive than usual.

So after all that, I am wondering if I could be pregnant, or if the reason I have missed my period was because of my cycle being messed up after I suddenly stopped my 3 month birth control pack. Please help me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Chances are that this is due to the cessation of hormonal contraception. It is very common for your periods to be affected as your body goes back to its normal hormonal fluctuation. You can always do a pregnancy test if you need reassurance. These are usually reliable. Try doing it around three weeks following the event in question since you don't have a cycle to use as a guide for a missed period.

Victoriababiee - Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 pm

I too missed my period on birth control. I took an antibiotic the second week and got off of it the same week. The pharmacist said it didnt conflict with my birth control that much only three or four percent and not to worry. However I lost my last pink pill in the car so i didnt take it I called the pharmacist and they said to use another form of protection the week starting my white pills. But now I have missed my period. I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. Am I prgnant??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:16 am

The pregnancy tests are quite reliable but sometimes you need to repeat it after a week if you still don't get your period. Missing one period does not increase your risk considerably, especially if you used backup protection as your pharmacist advised. However, oral contraceptives do interfere with periods, which are actually "withdrawal bleeds" - not true periods. Some women enjoy having very light bleeding while on the pill. However, especially if you have missed pills, it's always good to check when in doubt.

tree25 - Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:41 pm

i started loestrin24fe back in late july/early august 2009. since then, i had two normal periods - short, but they were there. i have never missed a pill and i take it at the same time every day (give or take an hour or two). my last period was mid september - 15 days earlier than expected. i was annoyed but not too alarmed as i haven't exactly been regular my whole menstruating life. after that - nothing. i've had all the other signs (bad acne right before when it's supposed to come, minor cramping, some gas = everything that i am used to when it comes to my periods) but no sign of blood. it's early november and i still haven't gotten a period! i took a pregnancy test a week or so ago and it was negative.

is it normal to miss a period while on loestrin24fe?
help!
 03krid - Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Hello doctors,

i am 7 days late for my period. i am currently taking micronor this is my second month on this so i'm not sure if i'm just adjusting to it. i am sexually active but we Always use a condom. can you give me any advice?
 mamamia - Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:05 am

Hi doctor,

i have been on birth control ovral l (as a first time user of contraceptive pill from oct 2008- sept 2009).my periods had been like clock work till this age i am 30 yrs now. never had any problem. however i missed my period for teh ist time after starting pill,which was due on 5th nov ( after my pack was over on 31st oct)the period didnt come, took 3 hpt done(ist one after 3 day frm due date , 2nd after 7 days on 9th and third on 13th )and they all came negtaive.on showing the gynaec she asked me to get a pelvic scan and TVS done i.e, on 14th nov- which showed that uterus is normal in size,antiverted and ovaries are normal and the right ovary contains 1.1 cm follicle and left ovary contains 1.2 cm follicle and no free fluid in the pelvis.and bladder,kidney is normal.she then asked not to resume ovral l and wait for the period to come naturaly which she expected to happen on ist week of dec.its 3rd dec and its still not come yet.my nipples had been sore from a week back (but now its less sore)and breast feel bloated from yesterday.also am feeling very fuzzy at the head from yday.i took a home preg test this morning and it came negtaive.i am worried that hpt may be wrong/inaccurate (i.e i still can be pregnant)or that my period may not come this week/this time again, and that there is some other major problem.pls help.i also don't wish to be pregnant now.
 wiretaps - Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:29 am

Hello doctor. me and my girlfriend decided to have sex so she decided to go on the pills. she only took it that morning, and that night we had intercourse but i was unprotected. its been a week and shes been taking them regularly and now she tells me that he period has not arrived on its expected day. she tells me this is a normal occurance but we are both worried she might be pregnant. are the pills she is on making her have this irregular cycle or could it be she is pregnant?
 properanswersplz - Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 am

I've been taking Microgestin Fe 1/20 for the past, I would say, four months. In the first month, I took it two weeks after my missed period, thus interrupting my regular cycle. So for the first two months of birth control, I was irregular and would spot two weeks into the pack. Since then, I have not had my period and I have sex without a condom. I have taken three pregnancy tests and they have all came out negative. Is there something else that could be wrong? I'm very worried and before taking Microgestin, I had taken Plan B quite frequently within those two months. Thanks for you help.
 jscan - Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:56 am

I've been on birth control for a year and a half now. My pack of pills was set to end on friday. I missed thursday's pill and doubled up on my last day, friday. I usually start my period the sunday after I finish, but I didn't I thought it was because I had a double dosage on the last day. It's been a week and still no period. That was the only pill I missed this month. I have been extremely stressed out this month, so I hope its just that. I just want to know how likely it is for me to be pregnant. And should I start my new pack or should I wait to see if my period actually comes?
 bkhry - Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Hello doctor,

I have been on Yaz for a 3 yrs and have never missed a period. I missed my period last month and am not sexually active and have never missed a pill. I have been feeling bloated and have been experiencing some minor cramps over the past week or so and have not yet gotten my period. I started the inactive pills as of today. I am concerned as to why I have not yet gotten my period, I also took 4 HPT tests weeks apart and they all came back negative.
 suzy q - Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:11 am

i'm 19 and have been on Microgynon since the start of the year. My GP told me that though the pattern for takeing the drug was usually taking the drug for 21 days once a day and then 7 days of (in which a period would come) she also said it was possible to skip the break and just move on straight to the next packet. due to holidays and certain events a period was undesirable so i have for the last three packets taken them straight after each other however now i have stoped to allow a period nothing has happened. i'm on my fourth day off the pill and still have had no period. i am starting to really freak out firstly in case it is a pregnancy alswell as if i am pregnant how long i may have been. i thought that maybe being on the pill without a break for so long may have had an effect and may be the cause of the missed period. i have generally been very good at taking the pill with only one missed pill a couple of weeks ago which i waited 7 days to have have sex with my partner. to be honest i'm really scared at the moment and i'm not sure what to do, if you have any answers that would be great. thanks

|