Question: Can I still be pregnant if i got my period?

meganc88 - Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:14 pm

I took an at home pregnancy test, it came up positive, but I got a lighter version of my period a week after it was due. Can I be pregnant if i still get my period? I am very puzzled and my normal doctors office doesn't want to even answer my questions. Thank you. Meg
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:23 pm

It is possible to have a period after you become pregnant. Most women who do report that it is not quite like a normal period - perhaps lighter or shorter. This is usually due to implantation bleeding as the placenta attaches. You can repeat the pregnancy test to be sure but positive usually means just that unless there is a miscarriage. This is also a possibility if the period was heavy. It is believed that a number of miscarriages occur before the women even realizes she is pregnant. Again, repeating the test would be the best thing to do.

caps - Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:29 pm

hi, my bf and i had unprotected sex the day i was supposed to be ovulating, so i was really scared and took the morning after pill. he did not ejaculate but to make sure since precum has sperm i took the pill. i got my period the day i was supposed to, two weeks after having sex. i had really bad cramps the whole day an a ton of blood clotting, but now a week after my period i am feeling a bit strange, can i be pregnant? (a bit nausea, burping like crazy, and a bit of slight cramps)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 pm

I would say no because you had a regular period. Even though you ovulated, you do not necessarily become pregnant when you ovulate because the sperm must make its way to the right place, fertilize the egg, and then the egg must implant into the uterine lining. The fact you took plan B would further guarantee your safety in this.

yumiax - Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:50 pm

The last time my boyfriend and I had sex was late November of 2009. He pulled out just before ejaculating but thought the condom may have broken and was not completely sure if he pulled out in time before ejaculating.Two to three days after this I took plan B. A few days before my expected I began feeling a little nauseous and some other symptoms that are common for both PMS and pregnancy and I became really paranoid thinking there was a possiblity I could be pregnant and took a clearblue pregnancy test the day before my period came and it came out negative. My period came at the expected time that month and for the month of January, but I have heard of women still getting their periods and were pregnant and this really freaked me out. Could there be a possibilty of pregancy? I've become very paranoid lately thinking that the pregnancy test I took was defective or it was too early, I took the plan B too late, and all sorts things! Basically I'm asking is it possible to have normal periods yet still be pregnant?
 michal819 - Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:43 am

I was due for my period and after not getting for four days it i took a HPT and i got two lines but the secound one was very faint. I got my period this morning... what does that mean?
 miss real talk - Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 pm

hi i need your help i had unprotected sex around the time i ovulated which was on the 26 of jan. around the next week i began to exspirence bad lower back pain later on that week i finally started my cycle but it is heavy which is abnormal for me can you give me some advice on what may be wrong
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:20 am

There are reports of women having periods while pregnant but in most cases any bleeding noted after conception is lighter than a normal period for the woman and usually is only a one-time event. Again, I must stress that there are women who say they did have periods but this would be very rare. Pregnancy tests would still detect it if you were pregnant.

As for the faint lines on the HPT - I'm not certain why you got this reading but if you got your period you can be pretty sure you are not pregnant, despite what the test said. These tests rely on hcg levels and sometimes there is variation with this. A faint line test result should be followed by another, maybe a week later if the period hasn't started yet.

For Miss Real Talk,
heavy periods happen sometimes, as do backaches and these symptoms do not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with you. Most likely things will return to normal next month.

confusedphilly - Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:14 pm

i am really confused.... i didnt get a period last month but on the 7th of this month my period came on heavy.... im having bad cramps.... its it a possibilty that i might be pregnant
 Nikki123 - Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:36 am

Hey
I am 18 and my boyfriend's 19.
We have had unprotected sex several times but he's never cum inside me. The only time he did was the last day of my period.
We consulted a doctor and he said since it was still my last day so the chances of pregnancy are next to nil.
However, my usual period date is 13th. It was been constant for several months now but for the past 2 times I've got my period on the 8th.
This could be because I started rigorous aerobics 2 months back to lose some weight.

I am getting an absolutely normal period.
The main cause of my worry is the fact that I get tired alot and have a constant headache and burping. Which happen to be signs of pregnancy.
I sleep almost 8-9 hours a day as opposed to my 5-6 hr sleep and still feel tired.

We love each other but we're not ready for marriage and kids as we're still in college and financially independent.
I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what to do next at the earliest.
Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm

User avatar For confusedphilly,
Having a heavy period even after missing one is a pretty sure indicator you are not pregnant. It is possible you could have become pregnant and had an early miscarriage. Many of these occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:44 pm

I agree that the chances of pregnancy are not very high. Some irregularity of period, especially within days is perfectly normal. Vigorous aerobics can affect your period as well and it's nothing to worry about.

There are many possible causes for fatigue and GI symptoms. If this continues you should see your health care provider to see if you are anemic or have anything else going on. Meanwhile, find a reliable method of birth control you and your boyfriend are comfortable with. This will ease your mind and stress can also affect your period.

|