Question: Ecoli Vaginal Infection

Benita74 - Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:42 am

I have been seeing a doctor who has been treating me of vaginal infections. Everytime I go, he will also do a vaginal swab to see if ecoli still exists and it is ever persistent ! I have been on many types of antibiotics i.e. amoxicylin, septrim, etc. but still no change. I am also trying to have a baby and wondering if this can be a hindrance from me conceiving. Please help me. I am really giving up....THanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:49 am

User avatar Hi Benita74,
You mentioned several antibiotics taken by mouth but have you been on any antibiotic cremes for this problem?
This bacteria migrates from the anal area to the vagina. The vagina and bladder have natural defenses against migrating E. coli. A key defense mechanism in the vagina appears to be colonization with lactobacilli. These bacteria, the bulk of normal vaginal flora, produce hydrogen peroxide, acid and other compounds. Through these mechanisms, lactobacilli fight off E. coli attempts to migrate from the rectum. When lactobacilli are disrupted or eradicated, for instance, by spermicidal compounds or certain antibiotics, E. coli can colonize (or grow) more easily.
Although this bacteria may cause a problem after conception, I'm not aware of it preventing conception but I'm sorry I can't say for sure.
I hope this helps a little at least.
 ballarenna2003 - Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:39 pm

Hey,room I'm presently having a problem with my 5 year old daughter .A couple months ago our family doctor diagnose her with having Ecoli Bacteria in her vagina after I'd reported to her the foul odor coming from her vagina and her panty crotch is always smeared.She did a swab test which was sent to the lab,hence the result.My daughter was on antibiotic at the time amoxilyn and I was told, that would take care of the Ecoli,but it hasnt and the problem still excist.What can i do?[/color][/color]
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:42 am

User avatar Hi ballarenna2003,
The first thing that comes to mind, when she uses the bathroom, does she wipe back to front or front to back? If she is wiping back to front then it is very possible that she is recontaminating herself with Ecoli each time she uses the bathroom and that would certainly explain why the infection is persisting.
 ulari - Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:46 pm

hi,
i was wondering if i could get some information, how dangerous is ecoli when found after a hvs? , and what can be done to treat it. i don't have any symptoms but i have to go to the bathroom more often than usual.
its really impo to me
thanks.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:44 am

A growth of E.Coli from a culture of a high vaginal swab (if that is what you meant by hvs) could be due to contamination of the vaginal flora from the perianal skin. Another source of E.coli in the vagina is unprotected vaginal intercourse after unprotected anal sex.

Your symptoms of frequency of micturition are most likely due to a urinary tract infection and you should undergo routine tests to identify the bacteria responsible as well as the antibiotic sensitivity. E.coli is a common cause of UTI in females.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|