Question: menstrual cycle twice in one month?

Cally22 - Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:10 am

I am an 18 year old female who has not had problems with her menses until now. I had my period around the first of this month. I then had a 2 week break with no abnormal occurence. Then on Monday the 20th I started bleeding again. Now I am not a doctor, but that does not sound normal. What could it be? I am not sexually active, I can't figure this one out?? I have never seen a gyno, so I am not sure as to what I should do??? What is going on here!!

Cally22
 drnasser - Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:35 am

Thanks for visiting the doctors lounge Cally

Well this normally happens which happens to be, for some girls, it will be every 28 days; for others. it may be anywhere from 23 to 35 days and for others it might be changing from a month to another, and it might be 14 to 20 days which is in your case

If you are facing heavy bleeding then this might be abnormal the cause might be Hormone imbalance, Infection of the uterus, Tumors of the uterus, and Miscarriage.

And the reason of your Menstrual Changes might be heavy exercise people who run 20-40 miles mostly don't get their period early because it changes in the amount of body hormones.

For any further information don't hesitate to contact us in the forum

Dr. Nasser

Obstetrics & Gynecology
 RMarHa - Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Dr Nasser,
I am 31 years old and I had sex about 3 weeks ago. I had my cycle 5 days later. Yesterday I started bleeding again. Should I see my doctor? Is this normal?

Please advise.

Thanks,
RMH
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:45 pm

I am not Dr. Nasser, but I can assure you that you need not panic at this. It is quite normal to have such irregular periods at times and almost all women have them from time to time. As an isolated event it is not cause for concern. If you continue to have such frequent periods over a few months, you should have it checked out to be sure there is not some underlying problem such as those mentioned in the previous post. Hormones have a lot to do with this and they are in a constant state of variability. As you approach the perimenopause period or if you take hormones, you may experience a change in your menstrual cycle with these events.

ritmens - Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 am

I am 22 years and my regular menstrual cycle ended 14th April 2009. I had sex on 14th and 16th April, but my boyfriend did not ejaculate inside me.

One week later, after I had lost my job, that is 21st April, 2009, I started bleeding again. This time it is very heavy. What should I do.

Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:36 pm

It is possible your cycle has been affected by the emotional situation of job loss. Many people experienced irregular cycles at times. I would not be too alarmed unless it does not stop within a few days or stops then starts again right away and this pattern continues over several months. Then you should have it checked out.

ritmens - Sun May 03, 2009 10:09 am

Thank you Dr. It has stopped now.
 oceanasmommy2808 - Sat May 16, 2009 2:30 pm

I am 20 years old. My periods are usually regular but this month I got my period twice. The first was may 2nd til may 3rd. And got it again may 9th to the 11th. Should I be worried or is it just a sign of ovulation?
 lotfy - Sat May 30, 2009 2:56 am

I am a 22 year old woman and I usually get my period pretty regularly every month. This month I got my period from the 12th to the 20th as normal, but I also just got my period again. I wouldn't be worried, except that they are so close together. About a week from the end of the first to the beginning of this one. Could there be a reason for this and is it serious? I took a HPS and it came out neg.
 sherol - Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 am

Dear madam
I am 22 yrs old last time i had periods on 28th aug which reside till 1st septm but i had sex with my boy friend on 28th and 29th now i am again bleeding heavily since 10th sept and it is 2nd today what can be the cause, cn pregnancy happen in such conditions. Please reply asap.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:35 am

User avatar Hello Sherol,
This answer will apply as well to oceanasmommy and lotfy,

Almost all women have times of period irregularity - either missing one, having a late one or having an extra one in the month. It is usually attributed to hormonal fluctuation and in most cases the regular cycle resumes without intervention.

An extra period does not usually indicate pregnancy, especially if it is of normal duration and amount. Sometimes in pregnancy you experience implantation bleeding around the time you would expect your next period but it is typically lighter than normal. If in doubt, take a home pregnancy test which is usually reliable the week after you miss your period. But, absence of a period is far more likely in pregnancy than extra bleeding that month.

In this day of birth control pills, we often think that a regular, predictable cycle is the norm when in reality, most women fluctuate quite a bit. Even when taking the pill you can have abnormal bleeding but it is more likely your bleeding will be predictable while taking oral contraceptives than in the absence of artificially regulated hormones.

I hope this makes sense. At any rate, an extra period is likely nothing to worry about unless the pattern continues over a few months. Then you should talk to your health care provider about it.

sarahtocute - Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:54 pm

Hey there I am 19 and I have had my period twice. I had my 1st around about the 28th and now again on the 16th.
I have a very poor diet but have a very high metabolism. I have recently done a up hill walk that took 40 mins each way so all up (1hour 20 mins)
It is pritty heavy and I am getting my normal period panes and is making me weak but i don't know if thats my diet as well.

Also I drink ALOT of coke to the point that it hurts but I cant stop. I know that sounds silly but its a real addiction and its really starting to affect me
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:15 am

A poor diet can affect all of your body systems, as can extreme exercise, anorexis nervosa, bulimia, etc. but usually it is in the form of missed periods rather than extra periods. Other causes of extra bleeding include normal hormonal fluctuation (the most common cause) If you take birth control pills you get a constant level of hormones, but without these artificial hormones, the natural ones vary and so periods also vary.

We don't usually worry about irregular periods unless they continue for several months to a year. In the meantime you would be wise to concentrate on a good diet, break your caffeine addiction and see if things regulate on their own. If not, you should consult a doctor. If excessive bleeding continues for several months anemia can occur.

soul.meister - Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:14 pm

hi, i m 22 yrs old..i had my periods starting 20th nov last month nd it is still lasting instead of normally 3-4 days dis tym it has been fr more den 20 days now vd heavy flow..i m extremely worried..please help me vd it
 bmiller3 - Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 am

im 17 and i had my normal period on the 7th and then had unprotected sex a few times and now its the 27th and when i used the restroom and wipped i noticed a bright red blood...it was not alot but i was just curious to what it might be iv never had my period twice in one month before
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:54 pm

First to soul.meister - This may be some hormone irregularity and not a serious problem, though bleeding can sometimes be present with sexually transmitted infections so if it doesn't stop soon, you should see a doctor to find out. Many women experience prolonged periods, missed periods or absent periods in the course of their reproductive lifespan.

To bmiller3 - It is possible to have midcycle bleeding even if it has never happened to you before. But, if you have been sexually active and are late getting your next period you should take a pregnancy test since some women have spotting in early pregnancy.

I hope this answers your questions.

JoyLivings - Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

I have a similar story. My period was between monday 13 january though the 19th on january. I had sex in the early morning of 17th. On the 18 and the 19th my blood was dark, almost a brown color. also on the 19th i had found a tampon lodged up in my vagina that most likely had been there a few days. the night i had had sex i had been drinking a lot but i remember removing the tampon before sex. I took a knock off version of Plan B called Next Choice on the 21st on january. 2 or 3 days later my period started back up and lasted another 7 days. I had loud stomach rumblings and diarrhea for a few days before the start of my second period and now i have a lack of appetite. the left side of my abdomen is also slightly more tender than the right. could i be pregnant or could it be a sign of TTS?
 Peyton288 - Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:27 pm

I am twenty years old and I have been on birth control for a little over a year. I was put on it because I was having irregular periods; they would either skip every other month and sometimes two months. Well this last month, January 2010, I had two periods in the same month. They were two weeks apart. I am also noticing that I am very moody. One minute I will be happy then the next I will be crying and grumpy. I also have lower back pain and lower abdominal pain. The abdominal pain is sharp and only comes and goes. It is not a constant pain. I also have been getting frequent headaches. Sometimes I get really hot and shaky. I do have a history of getting dizzy and fainting. I don't know if it is because of low blood pressure or low blood sugar, but it had stopped for a while and just happened again yesterday when I was sitting in class. Can you please help if you know what it might be?
 blueeyes384 - Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi I'm 25 and i normally have a pretty regular period, but this month i have had it twice. I am on birth control and i am sexually active. The first time i got my period it lasted ten days , i stopped bleeding for five days and now i have been bleeding for seven. The first time my period seemed normal with the exception that my blood was bright red and i had no clotting which i always do . This second time i thought maybe i was spotting from missing a day of birth control but its dark and thick blood which is strange and still no clotting. I don't know if I should be worried and go see a doctor because i do a few cysts and I've miscarried twice this yr. So what should i do?

Thanks Blueeyes
 daisy13 - Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi, Im 21 years old and Ive been on birth control pills for 5 months now. Ive been stable with the same partner for a year, and we ahev both been tested, so we opted for not using protection. Everything has been perfect, until today. I had my period last week. I just finished the last pill of my first week and have bleeding and cramps again today. Im worried because the last day of my period I was in the hospital for a bacteria and they had me on an IV for a small amount of time and was told that it had anti biotic. I know antibiotic affect the effectiveness of birth control pills. Since it was the day before i started a new pack of pills and know I cant get pregnant right after my period, I had unprotected yesterday. But Im bleeding and cant see my doctor til monday. Please tell me what might be wrong.
 daisy13 - Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi, Im 21 years old and Ive been on birth control pills for 5 months now. Ive been stable with the same partner for a year, and we have both been tested, so we opted for not using protection. Everything has been perfect, until today. I had my period last week. I just finished the last pill of my first week and have bleeding and cramps again today. Im worried because the last day of my period I was in the hospital for a bacteria and they had me on an IV for a small amount of time and was told that it had anti biotic. I know antibiotic affect the effectiveness of birth control pills. Since it was the day before i started a new pack of pills and know I cant get pregnant right after my period, I had unprotected yesterday. But Im bleeding and cant see my doctor til monday. Please tell me what might be wrong.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Some breakthrough bleeding is considered quite normal, even if you have not had it happen in the past. Most women report such activity at times. While a very few women do become pregnant while on birth control pills, the vast majority do not when taken correctly. The only antibiotic which as actually been shown to be a problem with the pill is Rifampin, which is mostly used for TB. When this was discovered it was thought that perhaps other antibiotics might also interfere but this has not been shown to be the case.

Try not to worry too much since a little bleeding is common, but if it persists, you should see your doctor.

Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:03 pm

User avatar Peyton,
It is possible you could have blood sugar or blood pressure fluctuations. You could also be a bit anemic so having a general physical exam would be a good idea. You can also try to not jump to your feet to quickly to see if you are having some postural hypotension. Give your body a chance to get the blood to your head before running off - from lying down, sit for a minute or two before standing, then stand for a few seconds before walking. See if this helps the dizziness.

You can also alter your diet to include smaller, more frequent eating with a decrease in refined sugars, increasing protein and complex carbohydrates such as whole grains and vegetables. This should stabilize blood sugar if that is the problem.

Mood fluctuation can accompany blood sugar ups and downs or hormonal changes, normal with women. Some women do notice more trouble with hormonal methods of birth control, so if the other measures don't help, you may want to try going off the pill (use a non-hormonal birth control method if you are sexually active) and see if your moods stabilize after a couple of months.

If you notice a sudden episode of headache, possible nausea, dizziness, sweating, try getting a snack including some sugar but follow it with a protein to avoid a sudden insulin rush with resulting repeat of symptoms as your body tries to accommodate the glucose changes. Cheese or peanut butter are good choices after juice. If you find this helps, keep some snacks with you to take if it seems it's been a while since you were able to eat. This should help you avoid an episode of hypoglycemia or at least help you to recover if it happens.

Good luck with this, but do follow up with a doctor should these symptoms continue.

sassyK - Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:06 pm

I have a similar problem. I'm 19 years old and since I've started having my period it usually came every 28 days. For the past three months it's been coming every 21 days. Is there a problem? It's the 13th and I had my period the 20 something of the last month and now I'm feeling premenstrual cramps( or what I think is cramps).Help me please!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:14 am

This is not a problem. Many women experience erratic cycles and it is normal. While some do have predictable schedules and others get this through hormonal regulation, unpredictable cycles are very common when left to nature. Mid-cycle cramping is also not uncommon. Try not to worry about this.

Stressed MS - Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:16 am

My periods started on 5th of this month and still haven't stopped. I haven started to feel a little annoyed and tired of this now. And since it has never happened I am not sure what I should do.
 nikkilove - Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:43 pm

My story is a bit similar to a few, im 16 years old. For april and may ive been getting my period on the 17th and my next period was on june 6th till the 11th or 12th , it was a normal period. I had sex for the first time on june 17th and my boyfriend didn't sperm inside of me. It is now june 22nd and i'm getting my period again ,but its VERY light and im not getting much pain, can you tell me what to do? i'm scared
 Nishomknz - Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 am

I am 28 year women I had sex last month on 26-30 and after that I had my periods on 17 this month only for 3 days which was like 28-30 days after my last period and yesterday I don't how it started again I got lots of pain in abdomen and back I never had such problem before during periods . This is the first time having so much pain . I took one I- pill also on 28.

Do I have to be worry or is it normal and it will get over soon. I m too scared .
 Miss_Mtl - Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:17 pm

I had my period on the 13th of June and on the 24th i started bleeding again. It was very light something i would on the 3rd or 4th day of my period. Then on the 26th i had heavy bleeding. Enough to soak up a tampon. The next day it was back to light bleeding and has been since then. I wouldn't call it spotting. It's really bleeding as if it was the 3rd or 4th day of my period. It hasn't stopped since the 24th of June.

I am not sexually active, am not using any type of contraceptives, have always been regular, usually get them every 25 days. I did start staking iron supplements a week before the 24th because of i am slightly anemic.

What should i do?

Thanks!
 atom14 - Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:15 am

HI, I am a 19 yrs.old and a working student
I got my period last June 16, 2010 and it lasted for 7 days. I had unprotected sex June 16,2010 during my period. Then Monday the next week I've experienced severe headache with fever which lasted for one week with brown and bright red discharge, it's kinda heavy. I still have brown discharge until now but it's not quite heavy anymore. What causes it? Am I pregnant? What should I do? I hope you can answer my questions.
 Lalela - Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:34 pm

I got my period normally 2.5 weeks ago and then 2 weeks later I started bleeding again but it is really light red and sort of mixed with clear discharge. It hasn't been heavy at all but this has never happened before. I am a virgin, not on any birth control or anything and I don't think I have even changed by routine or anything like that...any thoughts?
 denise30 - Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi I am 30 years old and I have been getting two periods in one month. I have read a lot of the posts and find that they are all similar to my condition. My grandmorther passed away in May. Since she passed away, my body have changed drastically. I have not been a ble to get in sleep at night and my period started doubling since then. Can death in the family be the cause of my problem? If so, what can I do to correct the problem because two periods every two weeks for five days is really annoying. The pain that I have on the first and last day is like delivering a baby with no medication. This make the 3rd month that this have happened to me, what do I need to do?
 Nixon - Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:50 am

Hello

I am 22 years old from the middle east i have previously visited the gynocologist and she perscribed duphaston pills she also diagnosed me with glocophage 750mg for diabetic purposes or so she says,she said that i have small white cysytic thingies on my overaries which might be the reason why my hormones are not acting right.Now ive been on the duphaston pills from january 2010 to apriL,HOWEVER on May i didnt get it but it came on June, and July now it came twice this month im worried that it might be internal bleeding or a disorder within my body.please help me
 fantasticami - Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:41 am

I am 19, I just had a baby on june 1st. Like an idiot, I had sex 3 weeks after having her... a few times without a condom but he didn't ejaculate inside of me. It is to my understanding that you can get pregnant 10 times easier that soon after having a baby. I had my period on July 10, and it lasted till the 15th, but now it is July 23rd and i'm having cramping and bleeding. ? Could I be pregnant again?!
 xxilovemusicxx - Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:48 am

I am a 13 year old girl. I remember on the beginning of this month on July 2nd I got my period . A few days ago on July 22nd me and my boyfriend had protected sex (we had a condom). And today July 24th I got my period again. I'm afraid. What could this mean ? Am I pregnant ? (Yes I know I shouldve thought twice about having sex in a young age).
 marina-ree - Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 am

Hello
I am 28 yrs old. Had my period just a week ago it had stoped 3-4 days after starting. Just got back from seeing my husband that was in basic training for the first time in 9 weeks. My period started again 2 days after being with him. I don't have any known medical concernes and don't take any medication. Should i be worried that i have it again after just a week?
 berniex - Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:16 pm

i am getting two periods in one month, but i am on loestrin birth control pill . should i be worried ? is there anything i can do to make this stop?
 jamaicanflwr757 - Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Hello I'm a 35 year old female, and My cycles are usually normal, but this month my cycle came on on July 16th and ended on July 21st, with little to no cramps just tiredness and my husband and I have been sexually active every day up until july 26th I started feeling bad with wat I think is a sinus infection and I'm currently taking Glumetza 1000mg for my diabetes, I have been feeling cold for the last three days and on july 28th without warning I started to bleed not heavy at the moment but as the day went on I started to cramp I'm a little scared since this has not happened to me since 2000 wat could be the problem please help I'm so worried right now
 dee54321 - Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 am

Hi doctors!
For the last two month i've been getting my period every 2 weeks. I'm 18 and not sexually active. My eating habits, stress levels, or exercise routines haven't changed much. Usually my period is normal and the cycle is normal as well. However, for the last two months I get a regular period every 2 weeks and once in the middle of the 2 weeks cycles i had some bleeding as well, except the blood was very brown, almost black, and thick (kind of like tar.) I'm guessing none of this is normal.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Having a second period (or even a little spotting) between periods is considered normal, especially in the first few years of menstruating. It is not likely to be anything of concern but whenever you are sexually active it is good to keep track of your periods and have a pregnancy test if you are in doubt about that. Bleeding is not a typical sign of pregnancy but sometimes a little blood is present with implantation. I usually occurs a week to a week and a half before you would expect your period so this could happen when you are pregnant. But, aside from that, an extra period on occasion is not considered to be anything to be alarmed about.

|