Question: Can i be pregnant if...

raney1211 - Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:32 pm

i don't have a regular period, im 17 and i had unprotected sex last night,but the guy pulled out before he 'cumed" i should be getting my period this coming week, is it stiil possible i could get pregnant???
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:42 pm

The odds are that you would not be pregnant based on the combination of timing during a more "safe" time of your cycle, and the fact that he did not ejaculate inside. While there is always an exception, the odds are not great. If you are very worried in such situations, you could take plan B but don't be surprised if this upsets your cycle. Some people worry that the change in cycle resulting from the extra hormones in plan B mean they are pregnant.
Since you wrote the question a week ago, it would be too late for that to be effective now (ideally within 3-5 days after having unprotected sex) and perhaps you already have your answer through your period. I apologize for the delay. I hope you got the help you needed.

peshieinca - Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:38 am

Im 21 and have had irregular periods for the past 2years.
The last time I had sex was about a month ago.
The past couple of days i have had sore breast, back pain, random lower abdominal cramps and milky fluid that leaks from my vagina.
I took a at home pregnancy test and it came up negative but do you think I am pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:53 pm

It is difficult to say with this information. You said you had sex about a month ago but you did not indicate when your last period was.

All of your symptoms can be related to hormonal changes but not necessarily pregnancy caused. Other changes occur in women with their cycles and with irregular periods it can be hard to know the reason. If you have had a period since you had sex, then no, you are most likely NOT pregnant. If your period was a week or more before you had sex, there is always that possibility and if your period does not start you could repeat the test after about a week. If it is still negative you are probably not pregnant, though some women have low hcg levels and are not detected for a while. This is unusual, however.

-browneyedb0mbshell - Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:21 am

hi I'm 17 and I'm curios to know if you can get your period a week after your partner ejaculates inside of you. i had unprotected sex on February 20 and i just got my period on February 26. I've heard that you can get your period and still be pregnant. so i just want to know if it is possible that i am pregnant even tho i have my period the week after i had unprotected sex.
 Teeninpanic - Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:17 am

My last priod was janurary 14th previous to that on janurary 2nd I had intercorses Now in feburary I have had no intercorses except masturbation I missed my period could i be pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:50 am

Most of the time having a period is the assurance that you are not pregnant. The most common sign first sign of pregnancy is the missed period. In some rare cases a woman has a "period" even though she is pregnant but in most cases this is not a normal period for her. It may be quite scant bleeding at about the time the period would be expected and is most likely implantation bleeding. A regular period usually does not occur in pregnancy. If in doubt, take a pregnancy test for reassurance.

Lindsay7 - Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 pm

My last period started on february 17th and now today I am spotting. Its a brownish pink color. My next period isn't due for another 2 weeks. Is there a chance I could be pregnant?
 hotpink - Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi there!

2 weeks ago me and my partner were humping but we were both wearing underwear, he came on my nickers and got them wet, i was wandering if there was any chance of getting pregnant from that? Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:10 am

User avatar Hello Hotpink,
You could not get pregnant in the way you have described. It takes placement inside the vagina for sperm to have a chance of reaching an egg.

Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:12 am

User avatar Hello Lindsay7
While spotting commonly occurs in pregnancy, it is not considered an early sign of pregnancy and can happen to any woman at any time.

Best wishes
 amrichu - Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 pm

I am using pills as birth control but I get so forgetful I don't get to take them on the same hour of the day, My period usually comes in every 26-30th of the month. I took pregnancy test came out negative, it is now 2 weeks over my expected period.

Please help.
 Skyriver - Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi, I had unprotected sex on the 6th of June and my period ended the 7th day of June which had lasted normally about five days. Then i Had uprotected sex on June 12/early morning of the 13th but i don't think he came in me, but i remember being extremely like "gushing" wet afterwards when i had gotten dressed. it was very uncomfortable. Then, on June 15, i found that i had some lightish red blood in my underware. Is there a possibility that i could be pregnant from either of those instances or is it more likely that my body is simply 'confused'...? Thanks ahead for any advise on whats possibly going on with me.
 Baby2010 - Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello My name is CC I, have a question i, have been haveing irregular periods. I, came o my period June3,4,and june the 5, I did not come on but, that night when me and my Husband had intercourse I, came on but, it was lightand june 6th 2010 which was Sunday I, did not come on. Also I, have Bumps around the black part of my nipples and I, was feeling sick today JUNE17,2010 and feet have been swelling and I, have been tired , Bloated, constipate. I, took a pregnancy Test this morning
JUNE17,2010 9:30a.m But I had urinated June 17,2010 2:00a.m
 jan081995 - Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:46 am

hi, i am bothered if i am pregnant. i had sex last week of april and i still had my menstruation may 17. it was 3 days like my usual menstruation. but until now i still havent got menstruation, and im wondering that my breast feels swollen for a week and i feel dizzy. is it possible that i am pregnant or is it just because i am always thinking about being pregnant? i am also irregular. sometimes i feel cramps, i don't know if it is also because of my sit ups exercise. i had a test, but it was negative. but i am still bothered with what i feel. do you think i am pregnant?
 needing.answers - Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:29 am

Hi, I am on the pill (Yasmin) and on the last day of my last period I think that i may have become pregnant. My boyfriend had already ejaculated once through a handjob and after we had cleaned up we had sex without a condom. I was wondering if I could be pregnant if there was still sperm left on his penis and we had had sex? I am due on my next period in a week but Im too worried and wanted advice before.

Please Please help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Pregnancy could happen since some "pre-cum" may contain sperm. It is not as likely to happen and it would also depend on when your ovulation occurred in the cycle. If this happened near your sexual encounter your risk would be greater. The average ovulation day is somewhere around the 14th day of the cycle if you begin counting on the first day of your last period and you have a regular cycle of around 28-32 days. Again, this is variable so we usually consider a dangerous block of days rather than one single day.

You could use plan B but it would likely alter your menstrual cycle as well so don't be alarmed if you have some bleeding irregularity following use. If you don't start your period when you expect it, within a few days you could take a pregnancy test.

Nick123 - Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:03 am

My girlfriend and i have bees sexually active now for a few months. I use a condom every time we decide to have sex. However, recently, on the 6th. My girlfriend was curious to see how my penis would feel with out using protection.

We had sex once, using protection and afterwords she performed oral and i cleaned up a bit. however, later that same day we decided to see what it felt like unprotected. I did not ejaculate at all during this time or even come close because it was very brief. Just enough to feel.

I was wondering what the odds might be that she is pregnant due to any residual sperm that may have still been on my penis? She shows some symptoms of pregnancy such as; Nausea, constipation, headaches, tender breasts, and her delayed period. (Her period is normally on the 21st so it is five days late now and this event occurred on 6th)
However, she has been very stressed lately and many of her symptoms, according to the research i have done, can be caused by stress.

Please post back when possible.
Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

This would be an unlikely, but possible event. She should take a home pregnancy test and follow the directions exactly. It should be accurate at this point. Worrying about possible pregnancy often results in symptoms such as she has experienced, especially the delay in period.

Kanchan13 - Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:30 am

Hi, I am 26 and recently married. Me and my husband wants to follow natural family planning. I am very confused about the safe and unsafe days. My periods are quite regular. My last period was 21st June, 2010. Please help me.

P.S. My husband is Roman Catholic and therefore is against using contraceptives.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:39 am

There is a very good method that can be used by women with regular periods that cycle between 26 and 32 days. This method uses an inexpensive tool to help you track the safe days. It makes the whole tracking visual and simple for both you and your husband to know right away the best days to have or avoid sex depending on whether you are trying to wait for pregnancy or trying to conceive. The system is called CycleBeads. You can read about it and order at cyclebeads.com. I must stress that it is for women with fairly regular cycles but if you have periods in less than 26 day intervals it will not work. If it is right for you, you could expect a 95% success rate.

The beads are the tool that allows you to track which day of your cycle you are on and the colors indicate "safe" or "unsafe" days. You keep it by your bedside and slip the ring over a bead each day, moving the ring around the circle. When your period starts you begin again with the ring in the start position. There are other natural family planning methods but this is the one I have found to be the most "user-friendly." The set is not expensive and makes for very economical family planning. It also helps you to visually understand your body's menstrual cycle.

Other methods like the "two-day method" are very good but require you to really focus in on your body's natural secretions. You can become accustomed to what the fertile days secretion is like and how it differs from the other days. You must be comfortable with touching yourself to become expert at the subtle changes but many women do become very good over time. You can also use the two day along with cycle beads to more accurately predict the two days you are most likely fertile, whereas the beads alone use the larger window of likelihood for ovulation (approximately 12 day per month). During that window, if you are trying to avoid pregnancy you would avoid having intercourse completely. (Other non-penitrating methods of sexual expression would be fine). If you are tracking with the two day method and identifying the secretion changes (they take on the characteristic of raw egg whites and usually greater quantity than other days) this can narrow the unsafe days down considerably.

If abstaining for 12 days per month is too difficult, the "two-day" may be right for you either alone or with the cycle beads.

Sometimes the Catholic church offers classes to teach couples how to practice natural birth control so you could also check with your husband's parish.

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes.
 ttcmommy91 - Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:50 pm

hi,
about a month ago i had unprotected sex with someone.
heres the thing. my last period was 17 days long. if i had sex about 4-7 days after it ended could i be pregnant? i feel sick after eating little bits and sometimes randomly. i get head aches and i pee all the time. now today i have heartburn that is radeating my knee caps. idk what to do please help
 cee jay - Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Hello Im new to this and not sure if this is the right place to post a question but il give it a shot.

Basically i am worrying myself sick over the possibility of an unplanned(unwanted) pregnancy. Here are the details.

During the month of May i missed many pills but tried to catch up and finished them all anyway. June 5th i had unprotected sex and he did not ejaculate in me.
june 6th(day after) i had my period which started at a very unusual time. 5 days later i had a pregnancy test done(urine) at the doctors and it came back negative.

I started taking my pills regularly again (and properly) on june 7th(the day after i started my period because i usually start them on a monday). Then, june 25th and 26th i had unprotected sex (twice). i had been taking my pill steady for about a week and a half at this point and the next days after sex i took Plan B because i was paranoid. (so i took plan b twice-saturday, and then on sunday because i had had sex friday and saturday night). Im not going to lie i was not sober during sex either one of these times and cant fully remember if he ejaculated in me but am pretty sure he didnt. and if he did it was only one of the nights. I took a home pregnancy test two days ago and it was negative and the doctor did a dipstick test and it was also negative (but im thinking maybe it would be too soon to really tell).

My period was a bit messed up for a while due to missing so many pills and i started early last month .i have been taking my pills regularly and properly and am almost finished a whole pack -i am on the third day of sugar pills). This month i am 3 days late for my period so far (according to my last period which happened on June 6th) and so im wondering if there is a chance i could be pregnant (if likely) or if its because of taking plan b twice and having messed up my pills the month before that my period may be delayed. thanks soo much i know that would be very confusing .
 Pons - Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:49 am

Hi Debbie,

Iam 23 years old.Got married in september 2009.Myself and my husband excepting a lot to get pregnant.We are very craze about child.

I had undergone marsupialization for bartholin cyst in december2009.

When i took ultrasound,Thyroid test,everthing was fine in febrary,2010.

but after two moths, i got missed periods.I had not have period till my 65th day.I did home pregnancy test...got negative.

When i consulted a gynecologist, she advised me it may due to harmonal imbalance.
Then i again took ultrasound, they said PCO is in early stage and i was treated with glycomet-250 .

This month also i didnt get my periods and got negative(home pregnancy kid) in my 40th day.Please advise me ....wat should i do ?

I have a question regarding the postion during my intercourse.Somedays to make my hubby tempt, i used to go up and do intercourse for some time and back to normal positon.Then he will start doing ...Is this correct? Iam very doubtful...If i go up before penis penetration, will the sperm penetarted before the day will come out?

Some fellow friends are saying, "Quit the job ,then only you will get pregnant as iam working in shift"But job is not stressful..ITs very jolly seeing my friends and work is not too tough.iam going 5 night shift per month

Should i avoid going in night shift?

Iam very confused..Pleasssssssssssssseeeeeeeeee Help me....
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:23 pm

I understand you are very anxious to conceive but the most important thing right now is patience. It is considered normal for it to take up to a year of trying to conceive before it actually happens. Everything must be in alignment and much of it is a mystery as we do not usually know the actual day you ovulate, especially with irregular periods. This does not mean you won't get pregnant by natural means and efforts, having intercourse regularly - some say every other day during times you may be fertile (again hard to predict). So, frequency will of course improve your chances.

Your work schedule should not be a problem at all. The PCOS can make it more difficult to become pregnant. I'm glad you are being treated for that. If you do not become pregnant within the year, you may consider discussing an ovulation stimulation medication such as Clomid but that does carry some risks, such as increased chance of twins. While twins are fun, they also tend to often come prematurely and this can be serious. So, if you can conceive naturally that would be ideal.

The irregular periods may mean you do not ovulate every month and there are ovulation predictor kits that can help you determine ovulation. Sometimes it takes longer than a year but we usually don't encourage intervention in someone your age until you have tried naturally for one year. Babies tend to come when they're ready more often than when we decide it's time. We can have some influence through planning an birth control, but some luck is involved too. Try not to worry too much about this because stress hormones can also alter your cycles.

Good luck with your efforts.
 MANDYIRENE - Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:23 am

I have a normal 28 day cycle and my last period began June 22nd and ended June 26th. I had sex with my husband every day from the 27th through July 6th. From the 5th to the 10th I experienced a milky white discharge that was not smelly. I have had sore breasts since the 10th and have been extremly tired since the beginning of July. I had unexplained gas on the 10th and 11th, and very obvious mood swings. I tested last night on the 12th and got a negative result. I also tested this morning on the 13th and got a very faint positive (very faint...) Is it possible I am pregnant? Am I testing too early?
 cassie04 - Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:14 am

I wonder if you can help me because i am going out of my mind. Me and my partner are 21. I came off the Dianette pill in August 2009. Me and my partner have been trying to conceive from the day i stopped taking my pill. We have been having sex at least once a day EVERY day trying to conceive. We have tried to track when i am fertile and ovulating and we have sex twice a day on these days. Howeever my periods are irregular. I understand that when you come off the pill it takes a while for your periods to become regular.

At first i was having a period every 2 weeks (August-January). I have started tracking my periods since may. I came on my period May 3rd- and came off my period on the 8th. I then got my next period on the 8th of June and did not come off untill the 13th June. It is now the 15th of July and no period. I did a pregnancy test 2 days ago that came out negative. I have bought a fertility monitor to help me track when i am fertile as it is hard to calculate with my irregular periods but unfortunatly i am waiting to start my period to use the monitor (as i am 2 days late than last month). My doctor said my periods would get back to 'normal' about 3 months after stopping my pill but it has nearly been a year. I am convincing myself that i am infertile. After all how can 2 young healthy people not conceive if they have sex every day?

I would like to know why i have irregular periods soemtimes short or really long. Do you think there may be a problem with my fetility or his?

I hope you can rest my mind.

Thanks for your help!

Cassie
 jnr0526 - Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:29 pm

FIrst off i would like to say thank you for all your help! Here is my situtation. I am 23 year old female. I am have a very regular 28 days cycle, and i always ovulate on day 14. I know this because on a typical day 14 i have a discharge that starts out clear and slimy and progresses to a thick white large amount and by the next day it is gone. THis months cycle started on the 6th of july. I had unprotected sex on the 18th (which would have been day 12 of my cycle). I had the discharge on the 20th and 21st (days 14 and 15) which was a smaller amount than normal and was always clear. Along with the discharge i had pain in the area of my right ovary. The pain has since went away but there is a large amout of pressure in my lower abdomen. Is pregnancy possible? Do any of these changes sound like a UTI or STD? I had a child five years ago and did not have a discharge the month i concieved my son. I know its very early but i am concerned. Any advice that you have would be great! Thanks so much for your time!
~Jess
 montana1 - Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:47 pm

im hoping someone has an answer for me.

my girlfriend has had her period every 17-19 days for numerous years. the last one was 22 days ago which lasted only one day. so, this time it is obviously late. she has been under alot of stress but, we are still concerned. she has taken 2 pregnacy tests, the most recent was when she was 4 days late. both tests were negative. im not sure if this has anything to do with anything but another thing is: she consumes alcohol regularily with no problems. lately after having only one drink she is getting very bad headaches.

ANY HELP OR OPINION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 pm

I will try to answer these several questions.

For amrichu - it depends on the pill you take. If it is a progestin only pill, sometimes called "mini-pill" the time of day is more critical than if you have a combination estrogen and progestin pill. But, any birth control method has a small rate of failure even when taken perfectly so when a period is missed, it's a good idea to get a pregnancy test. Of course if it is positive you stop taking the pill but don't worry that you were on it when you became pregnant. These are hormones not unlike those that occur naturally in a woman's body.

For Skyriver - whenever you are sexually active and fertile there is a chance of pregnancy and only a test can verify it. There are many reasons discharge varies so that is not a good indicator - blood or not. It is also possible to have missed and irregular period without anything being wrong. Most women vary with this at times for various reasons including emotional and worry over the possibility of pregnancy.

For Baby2010 - the fact that you had urinated earlier would not affect a pregnancy test, but if it was too soon to determine pregnancy it could be a false negative and should be repeated a week later if you haven't had a period by then. Bumps around the nipples are quite normal and not significant as a problem. There are also many reasons a woman might be bloated and constipated - even tired. Pregnancy is just one of the many possible causes. Hormones vary and there are many types of these in the body. I would watch and wait to see how it goes.

For jan081995 - because of your irregular periods it is very hard to guess about pregnancy and only a test can determine it. As I said above, emotional worries can upset your hormones and cause missed periods. Usually symptoms of pregnancy don't occur immediately following intercourse and conception. If symptoms continue, repeat the test and/or see your health care provider.

|