Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: High neutrophil percentage

hp1023 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:21 pm

I recently got a physical complete with bloodwork and my neutrophil percentage was 78% 2 years ago it was in the 60's...I am basically 32, female, all other results were fine and normal (cholestrol was 219 bu t the HDL was 92 and the bad LDL was bordline - runs in my family). I exercise (walk/lift weights) and eat pretty good. Other than a joint injury to my left knee (which they gave me kenalog injection about 10 mos ago in my tibia/fibula joint to see if that was causing the swelling in my anterior tibia muscle all the time - which it did help it so far)...I am basically healthy. i still get a slight swelling/tingling to that muscle but it is alot better than before. Could that be why my percentage is high? the absolute count and everythign is normal. I read it is high normally if you have an infection - but I don't and haven't been sick either...Please advise (I did come back from, jamaica when I got the swelling in my joint but they ran test for thigns and all came back negative)...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:43 pm

User avatar Hi Hp1023,

Neutrophils are the type of white blood cells that fight off infection. However, neutrophils are also basically the early type of cell produced so an infection from some viruses can cause an increase in neutrophils early on the infection as well. In addition, stress can also do this.

Your percentage is high but not worrisome if your overall white blood cell count is normal. If other symptoms develop this can be rechecked. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much.

|