News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Hematology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Hematology Answers List

Forum Name: Hematology Topics

Question: What does MPV mean?

momoffive - Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:08 pm

I am a 39 year old female and I recently had a CBC to prepare for an upcoming physical. My MPV was 11.2 (range is 7.2-11.1) and there is an H for high next to the number. What is MPV and what effects does it have on my health? Everything else seemed to check out within the normal range so I am just concerned about the MPV results. I would appreciate hearing from someone soon
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:20 pm

User avatar Hello Momoffive,

MPV on a CBC stands for mean platelet value, which is basically a measure of platelet size. It varies depending on when the CBC is done because new platelets are larger and get smaller as they age. If you had your CBC done shortly after your bone marrow released new platelets the MPV will be higher.

A value of 11.2 is not concerning in general. Really, the only time this value is helpful for interpretation is when there is actually a problem with the platelets. Then, it can be helpful to figure out what is going on.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here