News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: swollen tonsils and lymph nodes in neck

dorskinny - Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:27 pm

I am a 33 year old male, that has had swollen tonsils and lymph nodes in my neck for over 30 days. I have been given a strep test, and a mono spot test, both of which were negative. I also took a prescribed antibiotic which had no affect. A cbc was performed with the mono spot test, and my blood counts were normal. My doctor has told me it is a viral infection, and should work it's way out of my system. Should I be concerned that this infection is lasting so long? Could these be signs of a more serious problem?
My tonsils are extremely large and red with no pus or white patches. I have no fever, but did carry a mild one on the onset of this. Also, my lymph nodes in my neck are swollen and tender.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:50 am

User avatar Common causes of acute tonsillitis may include: · bacteria, such as streptoccal or hemophilus bacteria · viruses such as adenovirus or Epstein-Barr virus, which also causes mononucleosis · diphtheria, a serious disease that produces a false membrane in the throat. Diphtheria can be prevented by the DPT vaccine.

Subacute tonsillitis is most commonly caused by actinomyces, a normal mouth bacterium that can cause infection.

In chronic tonsillitis, there is a long-standing infection that is almost always bacterial.

Usually, no significant long-term effects result from any of the three forms of tonsillitis. However, difficulty swallowing or breathing during sleep can result if the chronic infection causes enlargement of the tonsils. The healthcare provider may recommend a tonsillectomy, or removal of the tonsils, if there are recurrent infections or difficulties with swallowing and breathing.

In cases of chronic tonsillitis, antibiotics combined with oral steroids may resolve the infection. If not, the tonsils should be removed.

Tonsillectomy may be recommended by the healthcare provider if the person has had:

· 3 to 5 bacterial infections of the tonsils within 3 to 5 years
· more than 6 episodes of tonsillitis in one year
· chronic tonsillitis, or infection of the tonsils, that does not respond to antibiotics
· enlargement of the tonsils that causes sleep apnea, a breathing disorder that occurs during sleep
· enlargement of the tonsils that causes difficulty swallowing, especially in children

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here