Forum Name: Other infections

Question: parotid gland infection,stone,or tumor?

missyh12 - Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:55 pm

I posted a few questions on this web site,and never got a response, but since then I think we finally narrowed it down to a parotid gland problem.I see an Ent for the first time on July 26th.Anyway,if there is anyone familiar with this I have a couple of ?'s My parotid gland is very swollen from under my right ear,down my jaw line,and up in front of my ear below my cheek bone.Could an infection,stone or tumor in this area cause my wbc count to elevate?Also,could it cause bone loss in my mouth?Thanks,missyh12 :D
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:20 pm

User avatar Hello again,
Does the parotid swelling hurt? If its painless I think you should consider a biopsy. Infection of the parotid can raise the WBC counts but not for two years. This looks like its part of a bigger picture. I wouldn't miss the hematologists appointment on the 27th if I were you. Possibilities are that this is an autoimmune disease or maybe a lymphoma. If there is a discomfort in the parotids or tenderness then it could be an unrelated bacterial or viral infection.
 missyh12 - Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:18 pm

:D Hi again,

The swelling started a month ago.It wasn't painful.I went to my family doctor,and he told me that I probably had a viral infection(possibly mumps)About two weeks later it started hurting,so I called my doctor again.He got on the phone himself,and ask me to come in.(I thought it was supposed to hurt,because mumps normally do)But he said that it shouldn't be hurting 10 to 12 days later,so he gave me an antibiotic,but he was not optimistic that it was going to work.He said if the swelling hadn't gone down in 5 to 6 days,then he wanted me to come back,and he was going to schedule a cat scan and biopsy. The pain went away,but the swelling didn't. The following week I went to get the lymphnode biopsy done(this past Wednesday)I got the cat done,and a sonogram.The radiologist that did the sonogram,told the doctor that was doing the biopsy that it would be a nodule biopsy on the right side,So he comes in,and does a sonogram himself,and tells me that my lymphnodes on the right were only slightly larger than the left.He then tells me that he didn't think that I needed a biopsy of my lymphnodes,that my parotid gland was swollen,and it could be a stone,or something else,and that I needed to see an ENT,and that I would probably end up coming back for a different biopsy.I have an appt. Mon. with the ENT and Tues. with the hematologist.The pain still hasn't come back but the swelling is still there.I have been tested for lupus,and many,many more things.I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year an a half ago,but that doesn't cause any of this other stuff.My family doctor thinks Lymphoma,but I didn't get to do the lymphnode biopsy to prove or disprove it.So,after hearing it all,what do you think? :D Oh,thanks for getting back to me so soon Dr.Fouad
 tdhappytogether - Sun May 17, 2009 9:55 am

I also have problems with my parotid glands. They get swollen from time to time, and mine hurt. The swelling usually goes away on its own, but I have had to see a doctor twice for antibiotics. I noticed you also posted concerning bone loss in the mouth. I also have unexplained bone loss in my mouth. I have NO periodontal disease. I know you posted on this several years ago and was wondering what you had found out. I am desperate to find out what is going on with my body. It is SO frustrating. Thanks for any information you can provide.

|