Forum Name: Other infections

Question: bump in back of mouth

paul1234 - Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:32 pm

I just noticed this bump I have in the back of my mouth near my tonsils I think. It looks kind of like a pimple/cold sore and is white. It doesn't hurt per se when i swallow, but i can feel and notice it's there when I do. I've never had any problems like this or in that area before.

Just wondering what it might be. I had a sore throat last week when the bump was not there, but it's gone away; while the bump I just noticed today.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:01 am

User avatar Hi paul1234,
Many conditions can cause white bumps on the throat, for example, viruses, strep. You may want to gargle with some warm salt water, (1/2 teaspoon salt per cup of water) as often as is comfortable. If it's viral in nature and there are no symptoms now such as fever etc. then usually no other treatment is required. However if symptoms persist then contact your family doctor who may want to do a swab test of your throat to check for strep and evaluate you for any other conditions.
 dbchick - Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:07 pm

I recently found the same thing... a white bump that looks almost like a pimple in the back of my mouth/throat and I was wondering if it could have anything to do with an STD.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:05 am

User avatar Hi dbchick,
I would relate it to strep, viral, or another anomaly rather than an STD.
 browns42 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:47 pm

i have noticed an "object" in the back of my throat as well. it's not a bump however, because it always seems to dislodge from my throat. when it comes out, it's a white, maybe light yellow, color. i don't know what it is, but it keeps coming back. it doesn't hurt, but it is VERY annoying because i can feel it in my throat. i have never gotten strep thaort b/c of it so i'm at a loss. is there any info u can give me so that i can research this more?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:06 pm

User avatar Hi browns42,
Any sore throat, fever, etc.? Do you still have your tonsils? Sometimes pieces of food may become lodged and this may be a consideration since it disloges and comes out. You may want to try gargling (water or salt and water) after meals to see if this alleviates the problem.

|