Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Acne or Herpes?

cake - Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:45 am

I woke up today with many 'whitehead' like pimples around my mouth. This is out of the norm for me and occurred 24 hours after performing oral sex on a woman. They do not itch or hurt at all, and otherwise appear to be normal pimples. The only thing potentially different about them is that after they are popped, they reform as whiteheads very soon (maybe an hour). I understand that this could be herpes. My question here is whether or not it is possible that it is normal acne caused by bacteria or perhaps a Ph extreme in the vaginal fluid? How long should I wait before seeing a doctor? Thank you very much!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:51 am

User avatar Hi cake,
Generally speaking herpes on and around the mouth appear as blisters with a watery drainage which are uncomfortable and may itch. After they break open a yellowish scabbed or crusty appearance forms.
 cake - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:59 pm

Rntdj,
Thanks for that info! One other fact is that my genitals appear to be free of problems. If she did have herpes and I did get it around my mouth, would it be fair to assume that I would also see symptoms on my genitals? The genitals were also in contact. Thanks again!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:38 pm

User avatar Hi cake,
It would be fair to say that according to most studies if symptoms appear, it's usually between 2 and 12 days of exposure.
 cake - Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:41 pm

For the info of others in a similiar situation - I saw a doctor and is was nothing to worry about. The pimples started after one day and were gone by day three. The doctor said is was probably some bacteria or a Ph difference.
 ironsides - Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:43 pm

I have a similar question- it occurred to me that what I have always percieved as acne may actually be herpes. These "pimples" are fairly infrequent, popping up somewhere on the border between face and lips. and never numbering more than 2 or 3 around my mouth at once. They have a resonable lifespan, often lasting several weeks as i can recall, and are red in color, sometimes nearly blending in with my lips. They don't resemble some of the pictures I have found online which more closely resemble whiteheads, nor do they look harmful/painful, but they do not "fill up" with puss as typical pimples do. Is something so beign in appearance and little in number a concern? They first appeared sometime when I was 15- the same year I had my first oral sex experience, though it seems that if it was herpes it could be traced to many more things. Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:47 am

User avatar Hi ironsides,
In my opinion I would consider this acne or a ph imbalance and rather than herpes.
 ironsides - Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:13 pm

Phew! Now there is a welcome relief- If possible, could you elaborate as to why you do not believe this is a case of HSV? Also, I am 17 now- I failed to mention that in my first entry.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:54 am

User avatar The drainage that I have generally viewed with HSV is a watery like substance and does not usually appear as "puss". These areas also becomes crusty in appearance and acne doesn't.
 girly23 - Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:09 am

I recently french kissed a guy around 2AM on saturday. Around 2PM on MONDAY, I started to feel sick with body aches. I also got a sore throat and very mild fever. This made me incredibly nerous. To top it off, I suddenly noticed a small bump on the INSIDE of my mouth on my top lip just about where my lips meet. Its small, round, and has a whitish center.

My friends tell me that i just tired myself out and got sick, as a lot of my fellow students are sick, but I am really worried

Should I head to the doctor immediately to get checked out for herpes?
 ???13 - Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:44 pm

Im a 18 year old male and Im very scared right now I have what appears to be acne on my penis. There are little whit head pimples that are growing only in quantity It's hard to pop the white head they bleed if you try but the white head stays usually. in the center they go inward a lil I've observed closly. They do not itch or are painfun unless poped and squeezed. Any suggestions? Please help Im scare and I don't wanna tell my parents. I am sexually active but I've looked all over the internet and have found nonthing that looks exactly like what I have..... Help!
 furaheel01 - Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:05 am

I occassionally get these white zits on top of my lips area, and some of them even on the corners of my lips. They are slightly painful, however they don't have a significant pus, they might be a little watery. It very embarrasing, and somtimes it grow to be quite big, they normally occur between the gap of my nose and mouth.

I don't smoke, I am not sexually active, my diet is not the worse, I been put on anitbiotics before, but it seems it like it always find a way to reoccur, after every 2 or 3 months.

Please assist.
 x3row - Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:23 am

I have a similar question to ???13. But I only have one of them. I thought it had fully healed at one point but then a week later or so after having sex it reappeared. I am worried as well and need any information?
 lilG - Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm

I have a group of what look to be pimples on my face. Some have a small white head, and they are around the lips, in a group but not a super tight cluster. Some of them had a head and I popped them and looked like a normal pimple, but it is a day after being with a girl and they are clustered, but appear to be pimples. There are probably about 10 and some are small, a little bit red and some have a little white head like a normal pimple. What do you think? I haven't experienced any other symptoms and have nothing inside the mouth, and have never had and disease before. Could it be a grouping of pimples? I didn't get to wash my face for 2 days.
 kibeauty - Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 pm

I am 26 years old. Last year all of a sudden I keep having these occassional outburst of small pimples on my face. Some are on my lip line, forehead and chin area. They sometimes are alot and even in groups - but not tightly close together. When squeezed, pus comes out. But then next day they fill back up. I keep picking at them, some of them pop and leave a shallow hole. sometimes they disappear on their own, othertimes they clear quickly with clean and clear astringent. What are they? Also, I also occassionally get these big red pimples (like 3) on either side of my pubic area , close to where the front of my thigh joins my pubic area. Everytime they occur in the same region. I don't notice them there unless i touch the area and i feel a slight pain and bump. They are very painful to squeeze, when they do, they release some pus mixed with blood and leave a hole. They take a few days to cure completely but forms a small crust. Sometimes they fill back up again with pus. Any advice on what these are?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 am

User avatar Hello,While the facial ones are probably acne of papulo pustular variety- the groin ones are folliculitis caused by bacteria like staphylococci.These areas do carry lot of bacteria and irritation to skin like shaving, sometimes gives way for the bacterial entry,and these grow at the hair follicles.Antibacterial soaps do help and so does application of mupurocin.Severe types may need incision and drainage and internal antibiotic.Best wishes.

|