Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Small white round things (tiny balls) in my feces??

Minusnite - Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:37 pm

Lately I've noticed very small, tiny, white round things that look like tiny balls in my feces. I am on 3 different kinds of meds that are capsule form. I didn't know if it was my medicine or something else?! If it is my medicine, am I getting the entire amount of my medication or am I losing it and it's showing up in my feces???
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:22 am

User avatar Hi Minusnite,
In regards to your other post:
http://www.doctorslounge.com/forums/vie ... ight=#9961
Frequency, urgency, any burning sensation etc. all are symptoms of a urinary tract infection. Just because you had a clear urinalysis 2 months ago doesn't necessarily mean it cotinues to be clear. I would suggest another evaluation and if it is negative then a workup regarding the kidney stones and ovarian cysts should be completed.
Now, regarding this post, the tiny white balls in your stool...is there any abdominal cramps, diarrhea etc. that accompany these symptoms? There is a condition called giardia which is a parasitic infection from drinking water and small cystlike objects are found in the stool. Although some people may have a parasitic infection and have no signs and symptoms, some symptoms when they do ocurr are diarrhea, foul smelling stool, and abdomial cramps and weight loss. A microscopic study is done on the stool to identify it. It takes 3 stool samples to diagnose this conditon. Giardia is treated with a course of antibiotics. In any case I would suggest a physicians evaluation.
 Minusnite - Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:42 pm

I don't have any abdominal cramps. Sometime's I have diahrrea but usually after drinking coffee. Today I looked closer and the round thing was kinda off-white or light yellow and wasn't hard or moving. I could actually break or smash it between my nail and finger. I don't think it is from my medicine in capsule form now since I opened my capsule up and looked at the inside. I also read about Giardia online and I'm not around any kind of contaminated water or other people much. I work at home and have 2 young ones in school, but they're fine.

About the UTI question, I don't have a burning sensation or any pain when I go or try to go. I thought those symptoms were usually present if you had a UTI?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:10 am

User avatar Hi Minusnite,
Generally speaking ,there is burning or discomfort with an UTI. However, your symptoms of urgency and frequency are not normal findings. I do not feel that what you are seeing in your feces is related to your medication. In my opinion, an evaluation is indicated.
 Folex - Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:04 pm

There is white sesame seeds look alike in my stool...
Also been having stool probelms....

What can it be?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:03 pm

User avatar Hi Folex,
Do you have abdominal cramping and diarrhea as well as these white objects in the stool? If so, it may indicate a parasitic infection and warrants an evaluation by a physician.
 doctorplease - Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:47 pm

Could someone please tell me how to post a message on this forum?

Thank you.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:06 pm

User avatar MINUSNITE
would you please provide me with the medication capsules that you are taking, some drugs, especially the ones that are formulated in capsules, could be excreted iin the feces...

one thing to consider, is when did you start noticing these in your feces, was it when you started taking your medications, or after....

i hope you feel better, thank you
 Catlady - Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:10 pm

Had the same situation and found the problem, which is really not a problem. A med I take "Tegretol XR" had the same glaze look to it as the little white ball. I looked up the info that comes with my med, and this is this info:
"The tablet coating of the Tegretol XR formulation is not absorbed in the body and may be found in the stool". WHAT a RELIEF!!! The pill is formulated to release slowly in the body. So it's very possible that other meds may do the same thing. The Tegretol XR has a tiny, tiny hole in the middle so that explains how it is a little larger than the pill.

Hope this helps!
:)
 Jester - Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:26 am

my girlfriend has not had a bowel movment in weeks and when she tries to go only these little white things come out no feces at all she took corectal and when but only like water came out that runny and clear from what i read i think it might be a tape worm but they are not as big as rice and don't move at al they almost look like the frozen brine shrimp i feed my fish I think she should go to the dr but she is embaressed to go but is now crying because she is scared and thinks she might be dying please help me thank you

also i pu this here because i could not figure out to start a new thread
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:43 am

User avatar Hi Jester,
Adult forms of tapeworms may become quite large in length and are typically ribbon shaped. That's not to say that eggs aren't present from this parasite or another for that matter. A test used to identify if a parasitic infection is present is done on the stool (feces/bowel movements). This condition is certainly treatable and it would be in her best interest to call her physician. Encourage her to go in for an evaluation to identify if this is the causative factor.
 Jester - Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:15 pm

thank you she did go to the doctor but hasnt been able to get her stool so she got a cup to bring back when she does thanks for your reply
 V_RED - Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:29 pm

Recently I have noticed slime on my feces. I have never had this experience and I'm really scared! :cry: My stool would be of normal color but there would be clear-to-white slime here and there on the outer linings. Do you have any idea what this might be? Please help :!:

Thanks :!:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:09 am

User avatar Hi V_RED,
Small amounts of mucous in bowel movements may be relatively unconcerning. However when larger amounts appear along with other symptoms of for example, abdominal pain, tenderness, bloating, constipation or diarrhea, other conditions, for example IBS, etc., may be considered. I would suggest that you have an evaluation by your physician to rule out any infection, bowel disorders etc.
 RichMan - Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Twice now I have noticed a pea sized round beige object in my stool. Once was 1-2 months ago and then again today. I've been having mild to moderate cramps/pain just under my rib cage in the right-central area. Ultra sound showed no problems with gall bladder or anything else in that general area. The cramps/pain can also be felt in lower portions of my abdomen at times as well.

Today I retrieved the object from the stool and put it in a medicine bottle. I plan to visit my doctor when he can see me (4 weeks from now probably). The first time I saw one of these I got it out and examined it. It seemed to be thin shelled and full of a merky dark green/brown liquid.

The discomfort is mild, but it is bothersome. I'm 39 and my mom had an extremely large colon tumor removed a year ago. So naturally, I worry.

I do travel with my job and was in Mexico in July. Maybe this is some sort of parasite?

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:09 am

User avatar Hi RichMan,
The object you found in your stool could very well be parasitic related. I would suggest that you notify your physician so diagnostic tests can be completed on the sample to identify if this is a parasite, stone, etc.
 RichMan - Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:17 pm

Hi Theresa,
Thanks for your response.
I received a call back from my physician's nurse. He believes this object is the remains of the time release Norvasc that I take. It seems unlikely to me since the pill is so small and has no coating or shell. What I found was 1 to 1 1/2 times the size of a pencil. The outer shell was not extremely fragile but would break with some pressure.

I accidentally spilled my Norvasc one night and some of them landed in the kitchen sink. I was amazed at how very quickly they turned to mush when they got wet. This too makes me not understand how the object could be from this medicine. I also take Ziac and Avalide. Maybe he meant one of these instead?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks again and happy holidays!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:57 pm

User avatar Hi RichMan,
Was the evaluation based over the telephone by the description you gave or was it based on actual examination? Generally speaking, occasionally medications will not be absorbed by the time the intestinal tract empties if there happens to be increased motility at that time for one reason or another but these are generally coated (enteric) medications. If the determination was made from a description you gave rather than an actual evaluation, I would suggest that if this occurs again, collect the specimen and take it into the physician's office for testing. Do not rely on information of what it "could" be based on solely a telephone call. That's my thoughts on the matter :)
Have a Happy New Year!

|