Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Odor From Groin Area....

patient15 - Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:03 am

I have had a severe problem now for several months and have been looking for some type of answer. This first started in mid January when I went to the doctors for an infection on my face (yellow/crusty/pimple-like). My doctor said it was a strep bacteria or something and that I had caught it from the gym. I was then prescribed an antibiotic (cephalexin) and a cream (bactroban). The infection went away on my face but not for long. When it came back they prescribed the same medication for me. I then started getting other symptoms such as itching, burning, and an extreme foul odor from the groin area (rotten eggs). I then saw several doctors and dermatologist and have recently been diagnosed with Candida yeast infection (I think caused by the repeated use of the antibiotic). My dermatologist says I have 3 things; 1) Yeast infection Candida in the groin area, 2) Extreme case of eczema, and 3) the thing on my face that started it all. For the past few weeks I have now been using Loprox Tropical Suspension with zinc oxide ointment over it, protopic ointment for the eczema, and benz clin for my face. Also, I did a home test I saw online for candida. It said to spit some saliva in the morning before drinking or eating anything into a clear glass of water. Then it said if your saliva strings down to the bottom you have candida, healthy saliva floats at the top. My stringed down to the bottom. Does this mean I have candida internally or in the mouth? I have never had severe health problems so I am not sure it all of this is interrelated. My eczema and face infection seem to be going away but the major groin problem with the odor is still there. It seems as though when I describe this to a doctor they don’t seem to know how bad it can smell and think Im crazy or something. This is definitely not normal and I can assure you it is not a hygiene or body odor problem. The smell is not constant and comes in waves almost like passing gas. This is extremely embarrassing and is effecting my life and my job. Is this odor from the candida or is it something else? If so, how can I limit the odor (if you can) and how long will it take to eliminate the problem.

Thanks for you help.....
 patient15 - Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:19 am

I went and visited another doctor yesterday and we were able to find what was causing this awful problem. I have been diagnosed with Fistula. Soon I will make an appointment to see a specialist (I guess possibly I might need surgery). Do you know any information on this that might be helpful for me to know?

Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:26 am

The full name of your condition is a fistula-in-ano which is an abnormal communication between the anal canal and the skin surrounding the anus. It usually arises as a complication of an infection in one of the anal glands. The diagnosis is based on a history of continuous or intermittent faecal-smelling discharge on the skin around the anal margin, followed by the finding of an external opening on the skin and an internal opening in the anal canal.

The condition can only be treated surgically. It is important to determine the condition giving rise to a fistula because an association with ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease and tuberculosis is sometimes established.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 CMR - Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:58 am

I feel like I have this problem to just by reading your post..I started having this odor problem after a major surgery 9 yrs ago. I went to doctor after doctor, at first they said it was a bacterial infection and just treat it with meds. But it would just come back. I kept going back to the doctors and they said it basically was all in my head, kinda like you said they thought you were crazy. So finally I just gave up and have been living with it ever since. Yes this has ruened my life and not to mention sex life. This is somthing horrible to live with. But what concerns me the most is the history of diagnoses which included ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease and tuberculosis. I had a lower colinoscopy 2yrs ago that didn't show anything. And I don't have tuberculosis and I don't think I have Crohn's. So what could be the cause of this problem how do you get it and how does this get diagnosed. I have had my gynacologist check me down there and she doesn't see anything. I had her check because thats exacally what I thought that there had to be a tear between my vagina and anus due to the surgery. Because that is exacually what is smells like fesis. And yes I am an extremely clean person. So are there more accurate test to diagnosed this if there is please let me know ASAP. I am so desparate to get this taken care so I can lead a normal life. I woudn't wish this on my worse enemy. By the way I am 35 and had 2 children with this problem as well.

Thank you.

|