Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fingers feel and look infected....

Lil Kis - Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:50 am

Hello. I have been having swollen 2 swollen fingers about 2 months ago. They were very red looking and were feeling and looking infected at the very tip near the fingernail. I never went to the doctor about this. They swelled very bad after a week or so so I sqeezed them and puss came out. I squeezed until there was no puss left coming out. After 2 days that I did that there was no more swelling or pain and everything went back to normal. Was that a good thing to do? It sure felt like it after 2 days of doing. But now a week ago a different finger feels and looks the same way I squeezed it but this time no puss will come out. So what should I do and what is the problem from this? Thanks
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:10 am

User avatar There are several types of bacterial infections, namely paronychia and felon which are found in the mouth, and if there is any broken skin, i.e. hangnail being bitten, it can cause infection. Herpetic viruses can cause them, if you have cold sores or genital herpes, you could infect yourself. This is much less likely, though.

If your fingers swell and contain pus, it can become an infection called cellulitis that can be potentially very serious, even to the point of the area being amputated if not treated. Squeezing pus out only introduces more bacteria into the affected area, and is generally not recommended. Keep the infected area very clean with peroxide and/or betadine, use antibiotic ointment and see the doctor. There may be some other reason you are so prone to these infections.

Worst case scenario, diabetics commonly get sores, blisters and infections in the extremities chronically and may have a more difficult time healing. Ask your doctor if he thinks you should be checked for it just in case.
 Lil Kis - Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:57 pm

I bite my fingers all the time so could that be the problem? Your getting me very scared. I really hope the problem wit my fingers is just because I bite them all the time? Is that it?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:14 pm

User avatar I didn't mean to scare you, but you need to know there is the possibility of any infection developing into cellulitis and if it does, it is very dangerous. No infection should go without very careful cleaning, antibiotic ointment and bandaging, if it doesn't improve at all in a day or two, should be seen by a doctor.

Your infections more than likely are a result of biting your fingers. If you have existing infections to the point of having pus in them, do not attempt to remove the pus; see your doctor to find out for sure what is causing them.

|