Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Trichomoniasis Question

rainbow34 - Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:23 pm

I recently found out I that I have trichomoniasis after a recent pap smear. I have been in a monogomous relationship for 3 1/2 years, and am wondering how long I could have had this. My boyfriend and I both had other sexual partners before we met. I was just wondering if I could have had "trich" the whole time we have been together and not been aware of it. Currently, my boyfriend and I have no symptoms. When we first started dating he went to the doctor because he had some itching at the tip of his penis (one of the symptoms) but the doctor looked at it and said he was fine (without doing any tests). I have had 2 other papsmears since we have been together and nothing has come up. (expect that one was abnormal and I needed a repeat) So, my questions are: Do they always check/notice "trich" when a pap smear is given? Could I have had "trich" for over 3 1/2 years and didn't even know it? Can there be any long term effects?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:04 pm

User avatar Unlike most STDs, it can live for a few hours on damp towels, washcloths, and bathing suits. If someone uses these towels or washcloths or puts on the bathing suit, the disease may be passed on that way.You may have not gotten it from past partners, 3 years ago, and just recently been infected, that is why it didnt show up in pap smears before, there is really no way to tell, it is possible you were exposed previously and never had symptoms and it was just missed in previous pap smears..

Trichomoniasis by itself isn't very dangerous to a person's health, but it can be uncomfortable, and it can make you more susceptible to getting other STDs.
Sexual partners should be treated at the same time and individuals being treated should not have sex until they have finished their treatment and no longer have symptoms, or you can continue reinfecting each other.
 lilamae0204 - Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:26 pm

[quote="rainbow34"]I recently found out I that I have trichomoniasis after a recent pap smear. I have been in a monogomous relationship for 3 1/2 years, and am wondering how long I could have had this. My boyfriend and I both had other sexual partners before we met. I was just wondering if I could have had "trich" the whole time we have been together and not been aware of it. Currently, my boyfriend and I have no symptoms. When we first started dating he went to the doctor because he had some itching at the tip of his penis (one of the symptoms) but the doctor looked at it and said he was fine (without doing any tests). I have had 2 other papsmears since we have been together and nothing has come up. (expect that one was abnormal and I needed a repeat) So, my questions are: Do they always check/notice "trich" when a pap smear is given? Could I have had "trich" for over 3 1/2 years and didn't even know it? Can there be any long term effects?[/quote]
Rainbow: i can relate to how you feel. I am 41 yrs old and have only been sexually active with 3 men in my enitire 41yrs. I recently remarried a man whom i love so much. He is a man of all men. He has been my hero until 08-27-05. I have been sick with other bacterial infections in spinal cord for 2 yrs. Having to have urinalysis done at least mnthly. I showed positive for Trich. in a Urine. I came home . not even knwoing exactly what it was. got on here and saw STD!! the second he came home from work i told him. It blew my mind!!!!! So, the next am i got him to go with me to a OB/gyn 100miles from home. we get ther and she says" you are eat up with it".. he ask to be tested. HE IS NEG>> so,. you can imagine where it went form there. She admitted me to hosp. and he left. She stood in front of him with me crying telling her and him i had been with noone in over 7 yrs saying" it comes from sex" and he don't have it!!!!
I was so confused and had no idea how i had gotten it. and the sad part about it was I had been away from him for 3-4 days b-4 i was DX with it. SO, there that was. and i made the stupidest mistake i am ashamed to even tell it. I wanted an answer so bad i made up something and told him. thinking he would not believe it and for other reasons too. Now......I am loosing the only man i have ver loved due to something i do not know wher eit came form. It is destroying my life and my marriage. I have called CDC In Atlanta, i have had urines done weekly hoping it woudl show up again. and i could back track myself between URINALYSIS. but, it hasn't !! i to this day haven't a clue as to where I got it from. and everything you read or i have read says it comes from sex. it is impossible!!!!!! NO MAN HAS TOUCHED ME IN Over 7yrs .. BUT HIM>..
if you have any INFO>. please help. i will not stop until i find out where it came from!!!

lilamae

|