News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: list of STD that a condom cannot protect you from?

josh555 - Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:54 am

Hi there

I'm looking for a list of STD that using a condom cannot protect me from.
I understand a condom is not 100% safe and I would like to add a few more measurements for general protection, but first I want to know what to lookout for even when using a condom.

thanks
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:46 am

User avatar Condoms cannot always protect from genitial herpes if there is an outbreak, and you have open sores on your genitals. Stds can also be spread through oral sex.
STDs are spread through blood or body fluids that find a break in the skin, meaning, semen, tears, and blood that enter any opening in yrou body, such as a cut, or through sexual acts can transmit STDs.
The only way to be 100% certain you cannot contract an STD is by abstaining from sex.
 josh555 - Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:52 am

Gracie01 wrote:Condoms cannot always protect from genitial herpes if there is an outbreak, and you have open sores on your genitals. Stds can also be spread through oral sex.
STDs are spread through blood or body fluids that find a break in the skin, meaning, semen, tears, and blood that enter any opening in yrou body, such as a cut, or through sexual acts can transmit STDs.
The only way to be 100% certain you cannot contract an STD is by abstaining from sex.

thanks for the reply. :)
I understand I can never be 100% safe, but I want to be safer without commeting to the sex partner.

what other equipment can I use other than a condom?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:37 pm

User avatar A dental dam can be used during oral sex. It creates a barrier between the vagina and your mouth.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:39 pm

User avatar I would suggest to you that when you meet someone you feel you want to have a sexual relationship with, you ask if that person has been tested for STDs. Tell them you do not want to have a sexual relationship with them until they are given a clean bill of health.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:55 pm

Add the following to the list of diseases that can be contracted sexually through close bodily contact irrespective of whether a condom is used or not:

Pediculosis pubis commonly known as pubic lice;
Sarcoptes scabiei, commonly known as scabies;
Fungal infections commonly known as ringworm.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here