Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrotic Syndrome

Question: bubbles in urine

starshine - Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Hi, I have recently found bubbles in my urine. I never have this before. Is it normal? I am a 37 years old female.

How can one tell if the bubbles appear in the urine are normal? My parents have diabete and I did notie that their urine are also formy and frothy but mine isn't like that.

Also I do have some kind of pain (on and off) around my rhs, somewhere below the rib both front and back. Honestly, I couldn't really pintpoint exactly where the pain come from.

I had a med check-up 3 years ago and I got a clean bill of health.

Should I worry about it?

Thank you

starshine
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:05 am

Bubbles in urine can be caused by the presence of excess protein in urine or it may also be something as simple as a forceful flow of urine that could make a foamy type of appearance due to excess trapping of air in urine as it contacts water. You will not be able to tell just by appearance.

This can however be established using a dipstick test for urinary protein or a simple urine analysis. For a more precise measurement, you may need to collect urine for 24 hours (microalbumin study - positive between 30 - 300 mg albumin per day).

Diabetes maybe associated with excess protein in urine.

On the other hand, passing actual air bubbles in the urine, is very rare - a condition known as pneumaturia. It is most often caused by a fistula between the bladder and the colon, usually as a result of a diverticular abscess, Crohn's disease or cancer of the colon, bladder or female genitalia.

I would recommend a visit to the doctor's office to evaluate your pain and maybe do a few tests.

|