Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: prominent column of Bertin

oakieangel - Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Hello , I am a healthy 23 year old Sonographer. I have had several symptoms in the past 6 months pointing towards lymphoma. I am seeing an ENT for that on Tuesday. I have had severe night sweats for 4 months and 2 months prior to those found enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and suffer from fatigue, which is progressivly getting worse.
Anyway I am writing today because I was scanning my gallbladder because of a recent onset of nausea and noticed that there is a spot on my right kidney. It appears to be a prominent column of Bertin.
I know these are benign and nothing to worry about. I was just wondering if you are born with them or if they can just occur?? I graduated ultrasound school in June of 2006. I was scanned almost every class because my anatomy showed up very well. I know for certain that this was not there in june. Do I need to mention this to the doctor I am seeing for my night sweats, swollen lymph nodes and fatigue? (I am going to an ENT that the Radiologist I work for suggested.) I guess it could be some kind of mass that just has a very similiar echogenicity to that of the cortex of my kidney. ?? I have yet to mention it to the Radiologist because he has already done so much for me with the lymph nodes and he took some time to go over the CT of my neck with me -Thanks-
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:24 pm

User avatar Sorry for the delay in responding. Columns of Bertin are considered incidental findings. I'm not aware of how long it can take them to appear. It may also be that the scanning probe was not quite in the right plane to have picked it up previously.

If there is a possibility that the findings you were seeing were not Columns of Bertin you should probably have more imaging studies to better characterize the mass.

Given your symptoms and swollen lymph nodes, there may be an infection in the kidney, or less likely a tumor that has spread to the lymph nodes. Generally tumors of the kidney do not spread to the lymph nodes of the neck firs so I think this is quite unlikely but should be explored if there is a possibility of this.

|