News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: protein trace and ketone was found in my urine test

karen78 - Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:46 am

Hi there,

I just have my blood test result few weeks back. In my urine test, protein was trace and that the ketone with 2+ was found. What does all this mean?

Anyone know this? Please help.

Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:31 am

User avatar Hi karen78,
The body typically uses glucose for energy. If the body uses fat instead of sugar for energy it produces a by-product ketones. Conditions that may cause ketones in the urine are diabetes, malnutrition, alcoholism, illness, etc. Essentially production of ketones could be attributed to one of these conditions. Protein is not a usual finding in the urine. Fever, kidney disorders, pregnancy, strenuous exercise, etc. may produce protein in the urine. Some people may have traces of protein in the urine for unexplainable reasons. I would suggest that if your diet is normal and you do not use alcohol that you inquire with your physician about testing for diabetes etc. to identify the causative factor.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 karen78 - Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:13 pm

Hi Rntdj,

Thanks for your help.

During the blood test, I also test for the diabetes. And it shows that my glucose level is 4.5 mmol/l. My diet, I do not think that it's normal becuase I am avoiding (take less) food which is consider as sweet, contain fat or oily food. I am scared to gain any weight. My appetide is not that good so I eat less, facing symptom of hand shaking, tired, lack of energy, dizzy mostly. I do not use alcohol. So, does it mean that I am having malnutrition?

About protein found in urine, does it also mean that there is possibility the kidney is facing some infection ie vagina infection etc? How about drink less plain water ie mean seldom drink water or any type of drinks?

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:54 pm

User avatar Hi karen78,
It sounds as though the results of the blood test for diabetes is with in normal limits. When the nutrition requirements are less than a person's food intake the body begins using it's own stores in an attempt to halt starvation. Malnutrition can be very serious as initial signs or symptoms may be slow to appear but once they become apparent damage can already be done. My first suggestion is improve your diet. A healthy diet will provide your body with energy to function without causing weight gain. You need adequate fluid intake/water to keep you body hydrated. I would suggest that if your physician is not aware that your dietary habits are less than adequate you discuss this with him/her to find a healthy approach. Malnutrition or starvation is not the answer.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 karen78 - Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:34 pm

Dear Rntdj,

Thanks for the reply. I will seek for the advice from my doctor about the correct diet. Yes, malnutrition or starvation is not a good way. Now, when i feel hugry, lack of energy, dizzy, tired, i have to eat otherwise i will feel dizzy whole day. Or even have cold sweat.

Anyway, thanks for your help. :)

Have a nice day :)

karen78

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here