Forum Name: Headaches

Question: spasms/pulsating in side of head

Dave479 - Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Hi.
I am a male - 27 years old. About a week ago I started having a tingly sort of feeling wiht a little pain in the upper back of my head. I took an aspirin at about 6:00 at night and the feeling didn't really go away. I took another aspirin around 10:00 at night and the feeling still didn't really go away. Then at about 2:00 in the morning I took another aspirin and a little while later I started getting very dizzy and had very bad pains in the back of my head behind my ears. After a while, the pain went away. I went to sleep and when I got up the pains were gone. The next day however I started getting frequent feelings of spasms or pulsating in the left side of my head above my ear. They are very quick and only last a second, but I kept having them. They lasted all day and I had a pretty bad headache on that side of my head. I don't take ibuprofin because I have acid reflux and for some reason it seems to interact and give me a burning sensation in my middle and upper abdomen. I had been taking aspirin but it didn't work that well for my headaches so I just started taking tylenol. I keep having the spasms but not that much of a headache. Sometimes it seems like when I'm having the spasms and take some tylenol, it makes me have a headache, and vice-versa. The spasms were really bothering me a few days ago and it felt like the whole side of my head was swollen so I went to the emergency room. They did some neurological tests and examined my head. They said that my scull is actually just a little more prominant on that side and it wasn't swollen. They told me they didn't know what the spasms were but that it was nothing serious. They said my scalp was a little irritated in that area and it might be causing the symtoms. I don't think that is really what is causing my symtoms though. I generally have dry scalp and I didn't bump my head or have it disturbed in any way. The doctor said to look out for a rash and that it could be early signs of the shingles. I haven't seen any signs of a rash since then. I keep having the spasms though. They just aren't going away. I sometimes have mild headaches on that side of my head, but not that painful. I thought they were going away, but they just keep happening. Does anyone know what this might be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:35 am

There are many causes of headache. It could be a manifestation of an elevated blood pressure, neck problems, eye problems, ear problems or sinus problems. I think we can safely assume that these causes have been excluded at the ER.

I really cannot tell for sure but I would think that headaches you are describing could be tension type headaches.

|