News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Numbness in finger after heavy plastic bag

mistermarr - Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:21 am

Hi- I'm a 31 yr old male... no major health problems currently... quite active in fact.

I was carrying a heavy plastic bag yesterday for 3-4 minutes and my left ring finger went a little numb on the side where the bag wrapped around. I'm alarmed because it's still numb this morning. Mobility is fine, it just feels like I got a little shot of novacane on the side. I saw a similar post here:

http://www.doctorslounge.com/neurology/ ... -3886.html

My question is whether I should seek a doctor's attention or if this will heal over time. I'm a professional guitar player, so I'm particularly sensitive about losing any feeling in my fingers permanently.
Follow up question, if a doctor isn't necessary, are there any excercises or over-the-counter meds I should use?

Thanks![/url]
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:37 am

User avatar Hello,

Normally this would not be a concern for most people and it would probably get better on its own. This could result from nerve compression or compression of an artery that supplies the nerve leading to vascular ischemia in addition to the nerve compression.

However, since you are a professional guitarist and you are correct to worry about this and I encourage you to seek medical attention (neurologist if possible) who may recommend medication to enhance and hasten healing of this condition.

Best regards,
 mistermarr - Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:50 pm

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I've never been to this site before, but I'm impressed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here