News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: numbness top right and right side of head

rdenesek - Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:50 pm

I have a strange numbness on the top right of my head radiating down the right side of my head to just below my right ear. I am a 51 yr. old female and have suffered with migranes all of my life, but now they are getting worse and this strange numbness has developed. It is sometimes accompanied with dizziness. I also get the sensation of my entire head being pulled to the right side.

This worries me because of my age. I have no blood pressure problems and have had my eyes checked recently with no changes. I have no other medical conditions.

Do you suggest I see a neurologist and if so what should I tell them, I'm sure they will think I'm crazy. :)

Regards,
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:01 pm

User avatar Hello,

This could be due to many causes that include:

- Aura of migraine, in which people may have numbness in one side of the face, flashes of light, nausea etc
- Cervical disc problems (disc prolapse) which can be diagnosed by MRI study.
- Vascular disturbance especially at your age ,which may aggravate the migraine symptoms and results in dizziness, lack of concentration and memory disturbances)

I advise you to seek neurological consultation.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 rdenesek - Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:06 pm

Thank you for your response. I have had numbness on my face when I have a migrane, but this strange numbness on my head is frightening. I forgot to mention that when I wake up in the mornings there are certain areas of my head, usually around the crown area, that are very painfull to touch, but that lessens during the day. The head numbness just happens on the scalp area and only on the right side.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.
 JamieGold - Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:35 pm

I'm not a MD doctor. I had some similar issues -so of course I don't think you are crazy. I understand it is quite disturbing. Mine were Simple Complex seizures secondary to a CCM. I think you should see a Neuro. A head CT wouldn't be out of the question.

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds in suggesting this, but a Neurologist would be my first stop.

Best,
Jamie
 rdenesek - Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 am

Jamie, thank you for your post. I really appreciate the fact that I am not the only one out there with this problem. I searched all of the topics and just couldn't find exactly what was going on since it is such a strange sensation.

I am going to see a Neuro next week. Thanks again, Will keep all of you posted.

Regards,

JamieGold - Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:23 pm

I meant to say Simple Partial Seizures -not Simple Complex Seizures. Sorry about that:)

Good luck with your Dr. visit.

Jamie

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here