Question: Taste in Mouth

Quietcowboy - Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:12 am

I am trying to find out if I should be concerned about this or not. But I have had a metal like taste in my mouth for about two maybe three weeks. It comes and goes during the day and night. Should I be concerned about this and set an appointment with my local Dr.? Or is there something I can do to figure out why I have this taste. I don't think I have any loose fillings. I was at the dentist prior to this taste coming about but that was for a checkup / cleaning. Any ideas what I should check or do.
 krona - Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:06 pm

Quietcowboy wrote:I am trying to find out if I should be concerned about this or not. But I have had a metal like taste in my mouth for about two maybe three weeks. It comes and goes during the day and night. Should I be concerned about this and set an appointment with my local Dr.? Or is there something I can do to figure out why I have this taste. I don't think I have any loose fillings. I was at the dentist prior to this taste coming about but that was for a checkup / cleaning. Any ideas what I should check or do.

Are you taking any medication? I know that certain medications I am on have given me a metal taste in my mouth as a side-effect.
 Quietcowboy - Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:21 am

Yes I am on some meds but I have been on them for about 4 years now without a change.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:47 pm

User avatar Dear Quietcowboy,

i think your fillings don't have to be loose to have this metallic taste in your mouth. It can be caused by gingivitis as well.

Please, give a call to your dentist.

Some cases of metallic taste can be due to medications radiation as a treatment for cancer and some abnormal tastes in the mouth can be due new onset seizures, so please, be advised to pay your primary care provider a visit for a physical.

sommer70 - Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:12 am

I, too, have a metallic taste in my mouth. It appears maybe twice a year and sticks around for a couple of weeks. It's strong enough that my husband can taste it on the tip of my tongue. I have no fillings and my teeth and gums are healthy. I am not on any meds, nor am I pregnant. I'm feeling fine and cannot figure out a reason for the metallic taste. What other options might there be? Thanks.
 D2Freak - Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:28 pm

I'm 14 years old and I've been having metallic tastes in my mouth for quite a while. It comes about once per month and stays for a few hours. I'm tasting it right now. Should I be worried about this? It's really strong and it's as if I took a block of iron and sucked on it...
 Banjo - Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:29 pm

I've had this sour, bitter taste on one side of my mouth since Dec 15th when I had a wisdom tooth extracted and some deep cleaning done. The periodontist also did a bone graft in one tooth. I am very unhappy with these results and have not been able to eat normally ever since. Everything tastes horrible. I've tried perscription mouthwash, I floss and brush often. I am a 50 year old healthy woman. I'm on hydrochlorothiazide and have been for years.
Nothing works and I think it's getting worse. What should I do?
 Blowbak - Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:01 pm

I am a 41 year old female who over the last 3 weeks has been experiencing a tingling & numbness sensation on my bottom lip along with a strange taste/sensation in my mouth. It only seems to be the left side which is affected. The taste is neither sweet, bitter or sour, infact its rather difficult to describe. Please advise.
Thank you
 Quietcowboy - Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 am

The taste in my mouth turned out to be acid reflux. I went to a Ear, Nose & Throat doctor and he gave me a prescription to help with this.

|