Question: Swaying in head feeling - confused - fatigued - head tension

j0hnny01 - Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi All,

I'm a 27 yr old male (medication free) who over the last 12 months had with various symptoms that have not been diagnosed to a specific cause/illness. It started back in the start of August 2006 when I was standing in a shop and all of a sudden I felt off-balance (not spinning though, like motion sickness from a boat) and my thought process started to spin. The room itself didn't rotate and spin in circles though. It was just an unsteady/off balance feeling and I immediately broke out into a sweat. I also felt nauseated. I noticed that same day that I had funny nerve sensations down my left leg, like a deep ache. This also affected the forearm part of my left arm and hand. I also had a sore stiff neck on my left hand side. I could bend my head to the right side with no problems/pain but bending/turning to the left caused a lot of pain and was unable to do so (I do have curvature of the spine that curves towards the right hand side). I also had terrible fatigue.

For the next couple of weeks I continued to experience the above symptoms, which made it uneasy to walk/stand up without feeling woozy, unsteady and generally weak. Lying down seemed to reduce the symptoms considerably but the general ill feeling still was about in this position. The nerve sensations continued to last for a couple of weeks before vanishing although the neck is still sore to this day on my left hand side.
I saw my GP who ordered a Full Blood Count, Thyroid Test and CT scan of the neck. All came back normal. I was told this was labyrinthitis and would last for a few weeks more.

Come December 2006 and I was still experiencing the off-balance sensation, although not as bad. It was like I had just stepped off a boat and there was a slight rocking sensation in my head. The nausea continued and so did the confusion of my thought process when I was feeling this sensation. Lying down again was the only relief from this sensation. I saw a neurologist this same month that ordered MRI scan of the brain and Posterior Fossa. This came back normal. I then had an Endocrine Blood Test, which also came back normal.

I then went and saw an ENT. He ordered me to have a Labyrinthitis (Caloric)/Hearing test, which both came back normal. His phyiscal inspection of my ear,nose and throat was normal. I also do not show any balance issues ie can stand still with eyes shut. I had an EEG with on my brain and that came back fine. I was referred to an Ophthalmologist who checked my eyes and advised me everything looked normal. I also had a Glucose Tolerance Test that came back normal. Now I'm at a dead end and not sure where else to go. This is quite scary as I'm only 27 and my life has basically been placed on hold due to this ongoing issue. Factors that make my symptoms worse are standing/walking, exercise and busy places. Exercise can really make it worse quite quickly and the following days, like an overall weakness. Also I find in busy places my eyes feel funny as though there is too much visual stimuli. My doctor said I did have lower then normal blood pressure but because I'm young and quite fit (lift weights 3x a week) then its considered normal. I also find alcohol temporarily alleviates the symptoms.

My current symptoms include:

- Unsteady/rocking sensation upon standing/walking, slight when sitting still
- Weak legged when standing
- Fatigue
- Occasional nausea
- Pressure sometimes in the head, not a headache but an overall tension within
- Sore/tight neck on left side when try to look to my left without turning hips
- Confusion

I was hoping for any idea’s or directions to follow as it’s now been a year and there isn’t any signs of it clearing.

Thanks for your time reading this :)
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:23 am

User avatar It sounds a bit like vertigo which is actually a symptom, not a disease process in itself. It is all connected with your balance center and inner ear. There are effective treatments but your doctors are wise to rule out all possible causes of this symptom in trying to determine the trigger. Some people have this in connection with migraines.

While there are a number of conditions that are associated with dizziness, your doctor can probably help you once he/she has ruled out a number of possible causes. It sounds like you are in good hands so continue to follow up with your doctors until you find something to help.
 ant3up - Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi there,

I am experiencing all of these symptoms you describe to a tee. I am a 24 yo male who has been feeling this way for about a year and a half. Curious to know if you have found out what the problem was?

Regards
Anthony
 Dizzyqueen! - Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:26 am

Hi, I am from the Uk and have had the same symptoms as yourself for over 4 years, unfortunatly over here we cannot go for as many tests of even an mri scan so I am still wondering what may be wrong with me. My doctor also diognosed virtigo but I was put on migraine medication which only made the symptoms worse. I am now unable to drive because it feels too unsafe and I too cannot go to buzy places and shops, I would be really greatful if you could let me know if you try any new medication that works!

|