Forum Name: Headaches

Question: labyrinthitis and headache

shaz29 - Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 am

Hi I am a 32 year old male, for the past week i have been feeling dizzy and also have been haveing a headache, the head is around the side of my temples and around my eyes and also across the front top of my head, i'm so worried that it could be an aneurysm thats causing the headache, i have been to the doctor and he has checked me and said that its labrynthitis and has given me stemetil to help with the dizziness.. he wasn't too concerned about the headaches, im very worried now because the headache has been there for a week, could this be due to an aneurysm or something similar or is it just a normal headache? I don;t have high bp by the way. please help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:42 am

I can understand your concern because any time there is a constant pain such as this, you know something is not right and you want to find out what is causing it, especially when it develops suddenly. Naturally your mind jumps to the worst case scenario.

Typically an aneurysm will have other symptoms beyond the headache, which is usually described as "the worst pain or headache of my life." I would be surprised though if you did not also have other neurological symptoms such as visual disturbances, behavior changes, nausea/vomiting, balance problems, fatigue, or stiff neck. Of course these symptoms can also go along with other conditions, even the labyrinthitis. The diagnosis of an aneurysm would be verified by a CT scan.

If your headache does not improve soon, follow up with your doctor. There are many different types of headaches with a myriad of causes so it may take a while to be sure of the cause of yours. Hopefully you will get some relief soon.

Talk to your doctor about certain maneuvers or exercises (Brandt and Daroff exercises and Epley maneuver) that may speed your recovery from the labyrinthitis. There are also some home remedies that may help. Reduce salt and sugar intake, avoid chocolate, caffeine, alcohol and tobacco. Lie still in a comfortable position, on your side (flat). There are medications that sometimes help so if the one you have doesn't work, let your doctor know.

If you should have additional symptoms, especially if they seem like stroke symptoms (weakness especially on one side, speech difficulty, extreme and sudden pain, unconsciousness, etc.) get emergency treatment.

Best wishes for a full recovery.
 shaz29 - Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 pm

thanks debbie, i have been to see the dr again today, he says its nothing serious and that if it was serious then i would get alot more symptoms, all i have at the moment is pain in the eyes and pain across my forehead and temples. I have requested the dr to get a CT scan done on me, he has refered me for this and i will now go on the waiting list for it, maybe take a few weeks or even months... is a CT scan dangerous? the dr said that i shouldnt get it because it causes cancer later in life.. how true is this???

|