News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Dizziness w/ numbness in arms.

hillama - Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:37 pm

Here in the last couple of weeks I have not been feeling so well. I have had several reoccurances of dizziness w/ numbness (tingling like my arms have fallen asleep) from my shoulders all they way to my finger tips. When this occurs, I have muscle weakness (have a hard time holding onto my purse, etc) in my hands/arms. I have also experienced swelling in my arms/hands and legs/feet a couple of times when I have been walking around a lot. This usually goes away once I sit and rest for a while but is extremely painful. What in the heck could be going on?? I'm concerned and have no idea even where to begin on getting help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:52 am

User avatar Hi!

From your description, I presume the involvement of nerves (neuropathy), the causes of which are numerous. Cervical spondylosis is a common cause for the kind of symptoms you described in your hands. Similarly, peripheral edema (the swelling) also has numerous causes that might need expert help. In either case, it would be best to consult your doctor to rule out treatable conditions.

For further references click on the following links:
1. Peripheral neuropathy
2. Peripheral edema

Hope this helps.

bill
 hillama - Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:41 am

Bill,
Thanks so much for the information. I'm definately going to make a doctors appointment and find out what is going on.
 hillama - Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:15 am

I went to my doctor. Basically, he didn't know what was wrong. He did a whole blood workup to see if there is anything there that might be causing the problems. He also referred me to a neurologist due to the possibility of MS or Myasthenia gravis. After seeing the neurologist, came more tests. I have had a braing and c-sping MRI (no results yet), EMG (I will never have another one of those), and a chest x-ray. During the EMG, they did discover that I have pinched nerves in both my elbows which is causing some of the pain. But, it doesn't explain the pain from my shoulderblades down or the dizziness. I have a followup appointment next week and we should find out how all the test went. I'm trying to stay positive during this. Wish me luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here