Question: Burning in left leg?

rtgc2003 - Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 am

Yes its been almost 6 months since this started it started around mid apirl when I was outside at a park and it was windy and i got up from the bench and i got this bad back pain in my left side didn't think it was nothing then like later that day or a day after really don't remember i started to get this weird feeling in my left leg first it started in my foot and toes they would fell some what numb and burned i thought it might be athletics foot,but after that i ran up to my calf area and it stayed there for a while didn't hurt no pain at all just the feeling like when your driving and the suns hits your leg it fells likes it burning from the inside.Then around the 4 month i went to the doctor cause some people thought it might be a DVT but i didn't hurt no swelling no warmth to the touch no redness nothing,just felling burning from inside so i went to see the Doctor and he told me it could just be inflammation and prescribed some inflammation medicine and went on my way also to add i got a Diabetes test done cause also was told it could be that came back good ,thank god.Then almost on the 6 month the burning felling is now in my thigh and sometimes around the buttocks area and calf area sometimes ,when i stand and walk i cant feel it only when i sit at my computer chair or my living room sofa.What could this be could it be,could it be a DVt its been almost 6 months, i just want to get some answers don't know if its worth going to the doctor again i also thought it might be SCIATIC NERVE.Hope i get a answer.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:31 pm

User avatar Hi there -

This really sounds (from the beginning) most like nerve pain. While the direction of travel (upward) is odd for sciatica, that's the first thing that comes to mind, and since you did have initially some low back pain on the affected side, this would seem the most likely explanation. You may have simply slipped something out of place in the sacral spine while seated, especially if it was a chilly wind that made you tense up. It could be that simple.

If it is sciatica it can sometimes be diagnosed by history and physical, but you've had a lot of tests done (which have ruled out the more serious possibilties, a good thing), so an MRI of the lower back may be the next step. If sciatica can be proven, either physical therapy, steroid injection, or, if the nerve pain can't be attributed to a focal point, at least a pain-blocking medication could be given (your description of the pain makes it a ringer for nerve pain). It could even be, although it's unlikely, a form of shingles. There are medications that can at least help lessen or even stop the pain.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|