News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Numbness on Top Of Left Foot

outwest - Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:49 am

Yesterday, I flew accross the country. I had stops in Chicago and Los Angeles, so I did walk around. The longest period of not getting up was about 4 hours, but the total time was close to 12.

I got home and took my shoes off and noticed from by big toe to my ankle is numb. No tingling, no pins and needles, no swelling, no pain, same color, same shape as right foot...just numb.

It is now the nest morning, and still numb.

What is going on?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:45 pm

User avatar Hello -

The tarsal tunnel at the ankle (similar to the carpal tunnel in the wrist) has a number of small nerves running through it from the inside of the ankle on down, and anything that keeps pressure on this area, whether it is long-term (hours) inactivity, bone spur, or some trivial-but-faulty walking or running habit, can put enough pressure on the nerves at that point to cause numbness in the top of the foot and on down to the great toe, as you describe. When this is the result of prolonged inactivity, too-tightly-laced shoes, or any unsual walking, can bring this on. When this is the case it usually will resolve on its own, but can last longer than one might expect (days rather than hours). If this should last longer than four or five days then something may have caused the nerve to become inflamed or swollen, or to have caused some sort of orthopedic misalignment with continuing pressure on the nerve, and then you'd probably want to have it evaluated so that it can be treated properly in order to regain sensation. If it lasts a long time and isn't treated (physical therapy, manipulation) the nerve could become damaged and some degree of numbness permanent. This is extremely rare, but if the numbness persists beyond the first few days the potential for damage begins to accumulate, thus the advice to be seen if it lasts longer than four days without starting to improve.

This is almost certainly a nerve/orthopedic problem and not vascular, because of the lack of discoloration, swelling, etc. It could equally be due to immobility during your flight or the walking you did. It could even be a combination of walking after prolonged immobility. It should work out on its own.

Hope this helps. Please follow up with us as necessary. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here