wpe2.gif (272x80 -- 4225 bytes)

Powered by
Careerbuilder
Search for:  

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

News Center

Mailing List

Neurology

Articles

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Other Specialties

Cardiology

Chest diseases

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Psychiatry

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Students

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

Specialized Centers

The Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

Question: tingling in my right hand

jester5532 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:37 am

for some time now ive had a tingling sensation in my right hand, but most severly in my fingers, not enough to cause pain, and mostly when my arm is raised slightly, my fingers still have the color in them, its noticeable in all five fingers, sometimes most noticable in the thumb, at times first starting in the little finger. at the last exam I had I was told my tendinitus was barely anything, and I don't really have any pain associated with this sensation, on a similar note I can only sleap on my right side, if I sleap on the left, which is more comfortable, my left arm "falls asleap" fairly quickly. ive done a home Blood sugar test fasting, on a few occasions and all were under 100. I do equal amounts of work with my left hand aswell but am not experiancing the tingling sensation in that hand.
Dr. Pradeep Bhandari - Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:06 pm

It seems that you have got a condition called Carpal tunnel syndrome which is usually caused by the overuse of hands and wrists. Pressure on a nerve (median or ulnar nerve) in the wrist causes tingling, numbness, weakness, or pain in the fingers and hand.

When symptoms of Carpal tunnel syndrome are mild or likely to be temporary, treatment includes rest, Anti-inflammatory drugs, and a metal splint. Even if a patient wears a splint that has been prescribed, he or she should avoid the activities that caused or aggravate the injury. Where this is not possible, patients should wear the splint after work and particularly during sleeping hours.

Surgery may be necessary if the symptoms are severe and if the other measures do not provide any relief. Surgery should not be the first choice for treatment. Even after surgery, a number of patients may still have some problems. Weakness of grip in the operated hand persists in about 30 percent of cases.
It is not unusual to wake up in the morning with numbness or tingling if you sleep on your hand. This may temporarily cut off blood flow to your hand or put pressure on a nerve. If this is the case, the feeling will come back within a minute or two. I wonder if this is true in your case, but please note that numbness and tingling are more serious when:

You have a complete loss of feeling.
You have symptoms of decreased blood flow, such as pale, white, blue, or cold skin.
You have muscle weakness not caused by pain.
Symptoms don't go away.
Symptoms go away, but keep coming back.

I hope this is helpful.

send to a friend

Are you a physician or a nurse?

Would you like to join us and help patients online by volunteering even a few minutes of your time?

Get started here by becoming a member of The Doctors Lounge.

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2006 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.