Question: Numbness In Right side of face

Jeff1234 - Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:05 am

This will be my first post so let me start by thanking everyone involved in keeping a site like this available. I am 24 years old and without health insurence for about another month or so. Ive been to the local clinic about my symptoms but I was pretty much sent away.
Where to start... Im not sure if these two symptons are linked but I wouldn't doubt it. About 2 years ago I was expierencing a ringing in my right ear followed by light headedness, these episodes would last maybe around 30 or so seconds. I would have an episode every few days ago with no apparent triggers. They eventually cleared up. Now fast forward to about a month ago the ringing was back although not as severe, it lasted a week or so. Now Ive been having numbness in the right side of my face. The first time it happened I took a few aspirin which didnt seem to help much, I slept it off and awoke the next morning with the right side of my neck being sore. The numbness would come and go everyday up untill today being just a light numbness. Today it was back with a vengence. I can still feel on the right side of my face so its not completly numb but its close, its actually the whole right side of my head and neck thats affected.
When I went to the clinic and spoke with a doctor I was told it was a pinched nerve and it would clear up. This diagnosis was made without any testing and just a brief description of my symptoms.
I of course searched on the internet and found it could be so many things.. One of the more scary things being stroke. Im actually pretty frightened and Im not sure quite what to do.
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
 Kathy C, RN - Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:12 am

Hi, You did not mention if you had any loss of movement to that side of your face or where the numbness is? About a month ago I developed bells palsey and it started out with numbness and then progressed to slight paralysis. Let me know about any paralysis you may have.
 Jeff1234 - Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:24 pm

Angel;
No paralysis and I am able to retain full movement of my face... as far as I can tell :)
The numbness spreads from over the bridge of my nose down to the right side of my neck and halfway around the back of my head. Sometime into the top of my right shoulder. If it ges real bad or comes on real strong I think I may be having anxiety attacks as well so It becomes difficult to seperate some f those symptons.
 Kathy C, RN - Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:15 pm

Hi Jeff, Your best bet is to have a complete exam with xrays and perhaps a CT\MRI if indicated. Like you said it could be so many things and getting a definative diagnosis will relieve alot of worry on your end.
Good luck. :D :D
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:57 am

User avatar Hi Jeff,
I agree with angelseakr suggestion with the diagnostic studies. I do have a few questions for you. Was you ear even examined? Do you have any hearing loss in the affected ear? Do you now have the dizziness, with the ear ringing and numbness? Do you have any nausea with these episodes? My final question,do you have any balance problems, or a feeling of fullness in the affected ear?
 Jeff1234 - Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:37 pm

Sorry It took me so long to reply I hope your still monitoring this thread. I have since had a CT scan (no contrast taken) and it was returned negative. I am still having ringing in my right ear and sometimes there is some fullness. I havent had a formal ear exaime except quick checks by my doctor for infection. There is no nausea with the dizziness.. Its more of a light headedness really.. My doctor will be sending me to an ENT soon for an ear exaime. I am better able to handle these symptons as of late. They use to start panick attacks as I thought I was having a stroke or some other life threatning condition
 apmunoz - Thu May 12, 2005 5:10 am

I been having a strange numbness in portions of the right side of my face for about a week. It seems centered on the right side of my nose and radiating outwards - up the bridge of my nose, into my cheek, and the top of my upper lip. I went to the ER on the 3rd day and had a MRI. They also did some cursory tests for MS and scoped my ears and nose. They said that everything came out fine, but that I had some sinus blockage that I wasn't aware of. They told me that it was probably pressure from my sinus area and put me on a Oxymetazoline nasal spray and Allegra. I've been taking these for the last 3 days and haven't noticed a change. I wasn't experiencing any typical allegry-like sinus symptoms (stuffiness or pressure) that I was aware of prior, so I don't know if the medication is doing anything.
The numbness is exactly as it was before and it's been a week. I am at a loss.[/list]
 Kathy C, RN - Thu May 12, 2005 5:47 am

Do you have any difficulity moving your face like in spitting or when you rinse your mouth out ? How about when you raise your eyebrows are they even? I had bells palsey about 3 months ago and it started as numbness just ablve my lip and then moved upwards to my cheek and eyebrow. I really noticed it when I rinsed my mouth out after brishing my teeth. It was as if I had gone to the dentist and was numb with novacaine.
The Physician made me raise my eyebrows to see it they raised evenly and when I smiled did the sides of my mouth come up evenly??
 apmunoz - Thu May 12, 2005 7:41 am

I'm familiar with bells palsy. I haven't had any loss of movement at all.
 theimp98 - Mon May 30, 2005 4:21 am

i have almost the same thing, accept mine is on the left side of my face,
have had ct/and mri so far both came back showing nothing,
in the process of changing docs, i asked him to check for MS and my spine
since i am getting some numbness in other areas also, but he said, no need for that.
 Kee - Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 pm

Hello all, my doctor's assistant told me my doctor said to take Claritan for the following symptons: 1. Right side of my face is numb 2. Nerves are twitching. 3. The right side goes into complete nerve spasms, forcing my face to twist. It resembles The Joker in the Batman series. (I hope noone finds this funny because it's completely terrifying!) 4. Constant headache for 1 week now. 5. Numb tongue which increased in severity when I ate. 6. Blurry eye because eye is tearing without any apparent triggers. My right ear is becoming numb as we speak. I've had an ear infection that is being treated. I saw an ENT for it already. I'm a young woman, early 30's-what could be happening? I feel like like the numbness is spreading! My lips are numb now. :?:
 theimp98 - Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:06 am

after changing Doc serveral time, had one order a MRI of the neck and spine,
according to this one, i have pinched nerves coming out of the head, that is what is causing mine, how ever, i noticed after they gave me blood thinners due to my blood pressure being a little high, most of the numbness went away.

gee this is soooo confusing
 mccormw - Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:49 pm

Kee and Angel I have similar symptoms right now. Mostly like those of Kee. Pretty much exactly. Just took the Claritin. Any word on if yours went away or of you figured out what it was? I noticed my tongue went numb yesterday and this evening it felt like my my mouth had been filled with novacaine. Had trouble eating and drinking. Notice it when I rinse my mouth out. Used a new toothpaste two days ago and rinsed with some strong mouthwash. Wife said it made her tongue numb for four days. Maybe it's the mouthwash??? Burnded when I used it the past two days. Really curious to know if you figured it out or if it went away. Can raise both eyebrows evenly but mouth is off on right side. Watery eye on right side and left eye was twitching this morning but has stopped since around lunch. It is 10:49 pm now.
 kheong - Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:27 am

Hi all, just recently my mum woke up with a slightly right side face numbness. We went to the doctor and she got a blood test which seems to be normal. The next day she woke up, she could not move her right face (had dropping eye lid, could not drink & eat properly). What is the actual cause of this? Is this a very serious problem? I'm just very worried about her.
 dr_sa - Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 am

If the numbness is your total face and is unilateral, this would suggest that there is a process in your brain. If it is located on one side but not including the total side of the face, then it is likely located in the peripheral nerve. If it is bilateral, then it suggests more of a systemic reason or etiology. Systemic reasons might be diabetes, arthritis, lyme disease, collagen-vascular disease, herpes or other infection etc.Following conditions also cause numb face
Broken nose , Facial fracture , Neurofibromatosis-2 , Paralytic shellfish poisoning , Classic migraine, menopause , multiple sclerosis what u all hav eto do is to consult a neurologist
 kheong - Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:54 am

Hi Dr_sa,

Thanks for the info provided. I've brought my mum to the hospital already, the doctors did check ups to her ears, nose, and eyes. Everything seems to be normal. What i knew about from the doctor is, my mum's right face numbness is actually caused by her left side face. When they did some test on her, she couldn't close her left eye lid, everything from her left face is not functioning, but the numbness is on her right. What is actually wrong? Her sight, hearing, her nose all seems to be alright as what the doctor said. Is this some kind of sign of Stroke? Now she is given 7 types of medicine to be eaten, and had to undergo some face exercise once a week. I'm worried anything will just get worst. Is there a need to get brain scanning? cause doctors din't overgo that process, just the nose, eyes and ears check.
 dr_sa - Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:42 am

your mother probably had facial palsy she should have a CT scan or MRI of her brain immediately if her condition si persistent then it may be a CVA that is stroke please consult a neurologist

ok

Take care

dr sana
 kheong - Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:32 pm

Dr_Sana,

What was told by the doctors here is that there is no need for a brain scanning. What they done was checking her ears, nose and eyes which was all fine. So please show me a clear direction, what should i do now?
 dr_sa - Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:24 am

dear kheong

i cant say any thing without proper history and without examining th e patient is your able to smile ,frown if her movements of this are affected then the diagnosis is probably facial palsy but i cant make a diagnosis without the histoty and examination n proper tests done its better u should consult a neurologist (physician in brain speciality ) rather than just going to an ENT specialist or local GPs

ok bye
 dr_sa - Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:37 am

Kheong

furthermore i like to add Look for asymmetry in facial shape or in depth of furrows such as the nasolabial fold. Also look for asymmetries in spontaneous facial expressions and blinking. Ask patient to smile, puff out their cheeks, clench their eyes tight, wrinkle their brow. Check taste with sugar, salt, or lemon juice on cotton swabs applied to the lateral aspect of each side of the tongue. stroke causes facial weakness but it spares the forehead .while facial nerve injury causes weakness of whole 1 side of face it didnt spare forehead
i hope you got my point kindly examine your mom for me
thanx
 kheong - Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:14 am

Dr Sana,

Ok, I will do some examining with her later on. Before i proceed, what do u mean by "spare forehead" ? Is it causing pain on her forehead?
 dr_sa - Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:57 am

spare forehead means taht i t doesnt cause any thing on forehead actually the fuction of facial nerve is making wrinkles on fore head or frownning which can normally happen in case of stroke and in case of facial palsy the side affected has decrease or absent wrinkles

if there si any confusionthen u can ask me further
 dr_sa - Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:59 am

dr_sa wrote:spare forehead means taht i t doesnt cause any thing on forehead actually the fuction of facial nerve is making wrinkles on fore head or frownning which can normally happen in case of stroke and in case of facial palsy the side affected has decrease or absent wrinkles

kheong - Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:21 am

Dr_Sana,

I've brought my mum to a spcialist in the hospital. They did the same thing, they send her to the ENT clinic for eye, nose and ear test which was all ok. I requested for a CT scan, but they said it was unecessary. She will be having another appointment with them again this coming 29th, she will be given MRI test or some kind of X-Ray. She is not getting wrinkles on one side of her forehead (left side).
 dr_sa - Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:24 pm

as far as i think she has facial palsy and its one of the casuative factor is ear

do have an MRI MRI is a better form of CT
 dr_sa - Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:29 pm

kheong - Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi Dr Sana,

She will be having her MRI scan this 29th October. Yes indeed she had a history of ear infection, but was fully recovered a few months back. I've been observing my mother's face everyday, and i see that her face is actually looking normal just abit of numbness, and she can close her eye lids with extra effort. But only obvious visible affect is on her mouth which is somehow tilt to the other side. Is mouth tilting a usual sign of facial palsy?

Thank u for all the information provided.
 kheong - Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:49 pm

Is there any special nutrition she needs to take in for the healing process? And also her sleeping posture? Cause she is a side way sleepe, will it cause her face to get worse? or is there any face lifter mechanism to help her shape her face up?
 lightning - Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:39 pm

I have been experiencing numbness in the right side of my face AFTER I wake up and sometimes in my right arm from the shoulder down, it only lasts for about 20 minutes or so but its starting to annoy me , a few years ago I was looked at for MS because I was having what I call a really bad head trip (i cant explane the feeling) but they found nothing it did go away on its own I was told later it could have been a hair broken off in my inner ear but they didn't look there what do you think?
 JimOR - Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 am

I have numbness but in my left side of face for a week. Everyone including my doctor has made me feel like I'm nuts! I have not had a CT or MRI scan even though I suggested it to my doctor who blew me off. My thoughts have been, it might be some sort of sexual disease, stroke, heart attack, brain tumor, etc. My numbness (no headache no pain) is on the left side, from my upper lip including nose, and ends slightly above my left eye. This started about a week after I had the flu, a flu that lasted about two weeks. I have no tingling sensations, no loss of movement, just a strange numbness like mentioned here. I also have a ringing in my left ear, I had my hearing checked and its fine…the ringing in my left ear I have had before and my doctor has said not to worry about it. Normally, I wouldn’t worry about such things but since this Flu I have had some muscle pain in the left side of my chest. This in combination with my left arm pain (that I have had for about a year now - my doctor assures me the arm pain is from repetitive typing at my job) is making me hyper sensitive at age 41. Any ideas?
 DeniseSeleaK - Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi I am a 16 year old girl and precisely three days ago I developed some sort of numb feeling on the right side of my tongue. I thought nothing of it and presumed it would go away the next day. It did not and food and drinks started tasting bitter to me. Yesterday at school, it was very windy and my right eye felt very dry and pretty soon it started to burn and sting and wouldn't clear up for at least 20 minutes. When I came home, I decided to sleep to see maybe it was an allergy attack. It wasn't and within an hour after I came home I had aquired a massive headache that came and went within the next few hours, and my right ear started to hurt like I had an ear infection. Later on, I was playing a game with my sisters and brother and laughing then all the sudden my mouth had gotten stuck in a weird position. After a couple of minutes my face was fine again. When I looked in the mirror before I went to bed, I had noticed my smile was severly changed and uneven. I do not know what happened but please provide me with answers. All of these "symptoms" appeared almost "randomly". Please help.
Thank Denise

|