Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Pain on Right Side of Head

momofangel - Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:32 pm

I have the thalassemia trait (diagnosed about 20 years ago so I don't know exactly which type) and I was unfortunate enough to catch Fifth's Disease from the kids at my daughter's school a few weeks ago. I still have some of the symptoms including the itching of my skin and tingling sensations in my hands and feet. I don't know if this has any bearing on what I am about to describe.

Yesterday I noticed that I had a great deal of pain from the right side of my face all the way to the back of my head. The pain includes my jaw, teeth, right side of my nose and sinus, right ear, forehead, back of my head, neck and at times even feels like a migraine. I tried my migraine medication, and it didn't touch it. Then I found a lump on the back of my head, above where I had a swollen lymph node at the base of my neck from mononucleosis as a teenager (which never went away), located near where the skull curves adjacent to the middle of the ear. It is very tender to the touch, and causes an immediate intense headache when I touch it. I also found that when I tried to sleep if I laid down on my left side, I felt intense pressure in my head like the pain was spreading to my left side and the pressure was building. I had to sleep on the right side, which increased the pain on my right side but didn't make it spread, or else on my back. I was not comfortable sleeping, and the pain continued off and on all day today. The most intense pain is actually a few inches above where the lump is on the back of my head. The pain is only on the right side of my head. It is very strange.

Should I go see my regular internist about this? What type of tests will he most likely order? Could this be a complication from Fifth's Disease? Would a swollen lymph node cause such pain on the whole right side of my face and head?

Please help.
 prc - Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:23 pm

Hi I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with you? I have the same problems as you but I am still confused today what it is, i have learned to live with it!

Let em know!

Thanks! :?

|