News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Small bump on back of neck, hairline area

ucdcows - Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:52 pm

I'm 23 and I just discovered a bump on the back of my neck just above the hairline on my right side. After discovering that I also found a couple of movalbe small bumps on the side of my neck on the right. I was wondering if any one has any ideas what they could be? Could the small bumps be lymph nodes? I have a slight tilt of my head to the left probably due to habit and was wondering if that is why the lymph nodes are more palpable on teh right than on the left? i haven't had any known infection but have had a small cold, some allergies, and an ingrown hair on the left side of my neck. I'm a bit scared since my friends father just died a few months ago of lymphoma and the first thing that he found that led them to the diagnosis was a bump. Any ideas?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:02 am

User avatar Hello ucdcows,
Thank you for using The Doctor's Lounge.
First, the only way for me to be able to confirm that these bumps are lymph nodes I would need to examine them personally which is obviously not possible.
However, assuming that they are lymph nodes given your description of their location let me give you a few thoughts.

For lymph node enlargement to be significant most authors agree that the size should be greater than 1 cm (Libman H, 1987).

Regarding, the position of the lymph node enlargement you would be describing the occipital lymph node which are located at the junction between the back of the head and neck. They are rarely malignant, often related to scalp and outer ear infections, exanthematous diseases, and toxoplasmosis.

Given the limitations of the internet in clinical evaluation, you are advised to seek medical attention. In your case the most probable outcome of your evaluation would be to put you under observation for 3 to 4 weeks and then re-evaluate these nodes. The doctor may also recommend a course of antibiotics based on his evaluation.

References:
----------------

Libman H. Generalized lymphadenopathy. J Gen Intern Med 1987;2:48-58.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here