Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Lump in anal area

rzp5125 - Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:37 pm

I'm a 30 year old male and about a week back I noticed a lump in the anal area. The lump is the size of a small pea and extremely hard and is on the ridged skin surrouding the anal opening. There is no bleeding in my stools or any pain while passing them. I applied a haemhorroid cream for a few days but that hasn't helped and I suspect the lump has become more prominent. The lump is under the skin and there is no change in the colour of the skin versus the surrounding area. There are no other symptoms. I am extremely worried and I plan to see my doctor this week but I would just like to know anything that would help me to understand what it is.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:02 pm

An anal mass could be due to a lot of things, including many benign diseases. Haemorrhoids, rectal prolapse, perianal haematomas, anal tags, polyps, warts or condylomas, anal abscesses can all present as an anal mass. Non-proctological lumps can also be present from time to time. These include sebaceous cysts and lipomas. Anal cancer is an uncommon disease, however, a palpable mass and/or bleeding is the presenting symptom in 50% of patients that are later found to have anal cancer.

External hemorrhoids are asymptomatic except when secondary thrombosis occurs. Thrombosis may result from defecatory straining or extreme physical activity, or it may be a random event. Patients often report feeling the sensation of sitting on a tender marble. Physical examination identifies the external thrombosis as a purple mass at the anal verge.

I am happy you planned to see your doctor and hope that it tured out to be nothing serious.
 rzp5125 - Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:15 pm

Hi Dr. Fouad,
Thank you for that very informative assessment. My GP pronounced the lump to be a thrombosed hemorrhoid. He asked me to continue using Anusol cream, but in a telephonic conversation today on another matter, I asked him again about this and he said I could ignore it (the lump). I am not sure if there is anything I can do for now but wait and watch since it is painless.
By the way, the cream doesn't seem to be having any effect whatsoever, so I might discontinue it.
I'm a bit confused now since I'm not sure if I need to do something else to make it go away or wait for a while before I have it examined once more or just ignore it.

Thanks again for your input

-RP
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:27 pm

I am glad it turned to be nothing serious. I think you should just ignore it so long as it doesn't lead to any discomfort. Should any new symptoms arise or should you feel worried about it then you can have it looked at again. It can then be surgically excised under local anaesthesia.

|