Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump on neck... CT scan results and a question.

Jen32 - Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:11 pm

I have had a lump in my neck, under my chin, for months now. After antibiotics (no better), I was finally referred to an ENT who said he *thought* it was probably a salivary gland, but let's to a CT scan to be sure.

The results of the CT scan I was told were "perfectly normal". I asked the nurse at the ENT office what I should do next, and she said nothing! Nothing to worry about!

So, now that the lump seems to be getting bigger and harder, and is painful sometimes, mostly when I chew food or turn my head just right, should I go back to my GP? Is this something to continue to worry about?

What does a "perfectly normal" CT scan mean? Are there other tests that should be done, to rule out any cancer, etc? Or should I just move on and trust the scan results?

Please help! I'm terrified, and I can't think of anything else!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:25 am

The submandibular lymph nodes are located along the underside of the jaw on either side. They drain the tongue, submaxillary gland, lips and mouth, conjunctivae. Common causes of enlargement include infections of head, neck, sinuses, ears, eyes, scalp, pharynx.

They can sometimes be confused with a salivary gland in that area.

CT scans can detect the presence of enlarged lymph nodes in the neck with a short-axis diameter of 5 mm or greater.

If you think your node may have grown or changed then you should consult with your doctor immediately.

Keep us updated.
 Jen32 - Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:12 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

I do have one more question... the lymphnode that I'm talking about does seem to change in size and feel... first thing in the morning it is especially large. So large, that I can actually feel it when I move and turn my head. Then throughout the day it seems to feel "looser" and not as large.

Would this indicate some type of infection?

Thank you again!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:40 am

I think this could be related to the amount of edema/ inflammation in the direct surrounding tissues making it appear as though the node has changed in size.

Please have it checked!
 Jen32 - Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:57 pm

Thank you!

I did see another doctor yesterday, who went over the entire results of my CT scan. He also examined the "lump" again, and said that it is indeed my submandibular gland, and that "cancer" is not of any concern with it. The CT scan measured everything to be within normal limits, and there was nothing else concerning on the results. He said there is nothing to worry about, and now that I've seen 3 docs for this, I should just stop worrying about it. Yes, he said, it is large... but he said this may be just a part of my anatomy... and is just always going to be large?

I have another appt scheduled with my own GP, who is much more patient with me, and in answering my questions. But for now would there be anything more for me to worry about with this lump? Or should I trust the 3 docs who have told me it is nothing to worry about? I feel like I'm being super neurotic about it, but it's just kind of scary.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my messages.

|