Forum Name: Liver Cancer

Question: Lump under rib cage in the back right side

jljtmj - Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:55 pm

I am a 30 year old woman. I have not had any diagnoses or surgeries. I do have family history of different kinds of cancers. The only medication I am taking right now is birth control.
I noticed about 3 months ago a lump on my back right side, about 2-3 inches right of my spine just underneath my rib cage. Up until recently it wasn't bothering me, but lately it's just been a dull ache. I went to my primary doctor last week, who just looked at it real quickly and said it was a Lymphoma? a fatty lump. Which was wonderful to hear, but the fact that they were so quick to say what it was and that the doctor didn't poke around or really look at it makes me still feel very uneasy about it. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like something more serious? I asked if it could be associated with the liver and the doctor said no, that any issues with the liver would be in the front. However, I have found many sites that speak of issues with the liver associated with the back side and right shoulder blade.
Any help?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 pm

User avatar From your description I would say that a diagnosis of a lipoma is quite possible. A lipoma is essentially a collection of fat cells into a ball-basically a fat cell tumor. They are benign and do not need to be removed but often will be removed if they are causing pain or are getting larger. Lipomas generally are sort of rubbery feeling.

Liver issues can present with pain in the right upper abdomen area or back. Generally with liver problems there are other indicators of liver dysfunction such as yellowing skin (jaundice), nausea/vomiting, etc.

The absolute way to tell would be to simply do an excision biopsy where they would remove the lump completely then look at it under the microscope to see what it is. If you are worried this would be a very appropriate course of action. There are also some blood tests that can help look at the liver.

Hope this helps.
 jljtmj - Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:50 am

Thank you very much for the quick response. I will continue to monitor the size and my health. As I mentioned, it was just the very quick look and diagnosis.. it made me worry.
Thanks again

|