Forum Name: Colon and Rectal Cancers

Question: Diminutive Polyps

happy one - Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:28 pm

What is a Diminutive Polyp? Can it turn into cancer? Is there any relation to that and Lymphoma? My doctor referred me to a new Gastroenterologist and this is what they found.I've had Lymphoma for 6 yrs now and have had no chemo as it was localized in right armpit.My new Oncologist is going to do staging on me as my other one never did.I start all my new scans and full work up. The pain I've been having has been a constant one for me.I've had polyps in my bladder but never the colon.He did Laser on it.Hope he biopsied it first.Any info would be of value.Thank You ,Happy One
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:26 pm

User avatar Polyps in the GI tract are quite common. Typically, if they are seen they are removed. There are a few different types of polyps. Some have more association with being precancerous than others. The biopsy of the polyp will look for any cancerous changes.

This is the main reason for getting regular colonoscopies as an adult. If any polyps are seen they can be removed in an effort to reduce the risk of future colon cancer.

I am not aware of there being an association between lymphoma and polyps of the GI tract.

Most likely you had a simple GI polyp that has now been removed and will cause no future problem. Following up with the biopsy results is a good idea just to be sure that there are no concerning changes

|