Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: 2 yr old daughter lump in neck

jakeeler - Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:38 pm

My daughter turned two on sunday. She has had a very small lump in her neck for over a year. We had it checked at her one year appointment and the Dr said not to worry that it was a lymph node. Well, her 2 year appt is in two days and he is going to have to convince me that it is normal for the lymph node to still be swollen. I do not think it has gotten any bigger. She hates when i probe it so i cant get too good a feel. I do not think it hurts, i just think she doesnt like getting poked in the neck all the time. I am a big time worrier about my girls (twins) and this has been on my mind for over a year.
Is it normal for a lymph node to always be swollen? Should i push the issue if the Dr claims it is still a lymph node? It is directly below the ear, in the middle of her neck.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:18 am

User avatar Hi jakeeler,
Lymph nodes are the bodies filter system for bacteria. Lymph nodes commonly enlarge as a result of an infection and sometimes may not return to there pre-infectious state. It's quite wise of you to have your childs physician evaluate it again at her appointment. Keep in mind however, that since it hasn't increased in size, changed in any way then it's likely do to a previous infection.
 jakeeler - Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:12 am

Thank you for the reply.
Does the area i described sound like an area for a lymph node?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:19 am

User avatar Hi jakeeler,
Yes, it does sound like the typical area for enlarged lymph nodes.
I hope this is helpful.
 jakeeler - Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:16 am

Thanks for the reply Theresa. If anyone else has any info to share i would like to hear it as well.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:51 pm

Dearest jakeeler,
As Theresa explained that lymph nodes are the bodies filtering system, that become swollen in response to any infection.
The fact that your child has swollen lymph nodes doesn't mean that she has an illness. Rather, it's a sign that her immune system is at work.
With acutely swollen glands, it is more important to diagnose and treat the infection causing the glands to swell, but the glands themselves need no treatment.
Chronically enlarged lymph nodes, as in your daughter's case, are considered 'non-specific' and usually no focus of infection could be found. Again as Theresa explained, they sometimes just don't return to their pre-infectious state.
If the lymph node becomes red and painful, larger than 2 inches or not mobile, then you should worry and should immediately seek medical advice.
 jakeeler - Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:20 pm

Thank you Dr. I feel much better. We have our appointment tomorrow, so hopefully all goes well. It is no where near 2 inches. I would say it is smaller than a pea. But, she is so small a pea would feel pretty big.

Thanks for the info.

|