Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Hard knot.. lump, node or bone in back of neck

SpecialGirl - Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:12 pm

Hi.
at times when very fatigued I get a soreness at the back of my head and upper neck area. While feeling around the neck area (BACK INSIDE.. ) I notice a lump or knot feeling thing. With head in normal positon I don't really notice it that well . but if i tilt my head as though I'm looking up and push in (right in the middle . back of neck between back of head and back. but slightly closer to head) I feel a knobby knot. almost feels like cartiledge. I have looked at all sorts of anatomy pictures exray picutes etc showing the neck and cant seem to see anyting like what I feel. Again it almost feels like cartiledge or bony (its that hard) Tried to ask a coupe friends to check thier necks too. they say no nothing like that there. I'm just really curious what it MIGHT be. Feels as though I can push towards the inside of hte neck and it moves in that direction perhap a little side to side as well (but not up and down)
Would appreciate anyone that can help me identify what this is.
Thanks for anything you can tell me.
 SpecialGirl - Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:05 pm

I wanted to add to my past that this knot i'm referring to is definietely a bit higher up than in the middle of the neck.. at least thats where I have to feel.. under the base of the skull where one can actually push in slightly.
 P-Daddy - Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:29 am

Finally! Someone else who has the same thing going on! I am experiencing exactly what you are describing. I have only recently discovered the little knot. It's just where you described yours, but slightly off to the right.

Like I said, I only recently found this know, but lately, I've felt a lot of soreness in the back of my neck and I haven't been sleeping well. Granted, I have a baby about to turn 1, and he makes a full night of sleep somewhat difficult. I've also felt stressed out lately. I've been taking medication for high blood pressure, as well. Could this all be related?

Has anyone else dealt with this?
 momtimes3 - Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:36 pm

I have been experiencing the same thing for about a year and a half now. It seems like the knots (2) are always there, but at time are more noticeable. There is one that is closer to my spine on the upper neck that is hard. There is another one that is soft to the right of that other knot. I have seen a doctor when I very fist noticed them and he didn't think it was lymphoma because the lack of other symptoms. I have recently been trying to decide if my headaches are causing the knots to be bigger or becaus the knot are bigger that is why I have headaches. I am wondering if they could be stress related. I feel a lot of tension in the back of my neck when the knot flare up. I am thinking about going back to the doctor again.
 darla - Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:30 pm

I also have a lump like this. Has anyone gotten a diagnosis. My doctor didn't know what it was and told me to keep an eye on it for now.
 sherry24 - Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:09 pm

I think i have the same thing. Back in Nov. I started a new job and a cna in a local nursing home. I lift people, bend over, and all that kinda stuff. Well a couple of weeks ago i came home from work and my neck was hurting and my back, so i was rubbing my neck and i was rubbing kinda hard too and i felt this little tiny bump or something in my neck. It feels like its in the middle of my side of my neck. Well ever since then i have been messing with it. It moves also. I haven't been sick or anything like that. So i was wondering if i did something at work. I was feeling tired more but i think that's because i had poor sleeping habits. I would go to bed around 10 or so and wake up at either 4:30 or 5:00 am. and go to work. You can't feel it if your neck is straight but if i lean my head to the right and actually feel for it you can. I haven't been to the dr. yet so i was just wondering what else could it be??
 Kimmaga - Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:53 pm

I've had a bump on the back of my neck for several years, and over time it's very gradually gotten worse (slightly larger, about the size of a pea and harder). All of my tension headaches seem to start from this point (at the base of the skull, about 1-1/2" to the left of the spine). Sometimes I can press on it like a pressure point and relieve some of the pain. I also have problems with sleeping and fatigue. I have asked doctors about it before, but they don't seem to think there's anything wrong.

Also, not sure if this is related, but since this is the lymphoma category, I figured I'd add it. Sometimes my abdomen feels hard & somewhat tender (area about the size of a ping pong ball) just under the ribcage to the right of my sternum. I've had my gallbladder and liver checked, and all tests came back normal. Are there lymph nodes in this area that could be swollen?

I have a long history of cancer in my family, and all of it very different. Ovarian cancer, Hodgkin's, Brain tumor, Wilm's tumor. I may be a bit paranoid about all this, but I figure I've got reason to be.
 rlcjrrlcjr - Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm

i have had the same thing for about 7 years went to the er the first time i noticed it they said it is normal but they knew i had no money or anything at that point so i think they were just trying to get me to leave but any way i have had it for a long time i can not say it is getting any worse but i think i am going to show my doctor and see what she says about it and when i do i will post a new comment but if anybody else finds out something please leave a comment.........thanks

p.s. i know that does not help but i will try to help....
 svega - Mon May 18, 2009 9:54 am

I have a hard knot in the same place, at the very top of my neck more or less, and right in the middle. I thought it was a stress type knot and massaged it for a while and now it's very sore. I'm not sure if I pressed to hard or if perhaps its simply a bone that I have now bruised. I'm extremely concerned and worried. I'm currently living in a foreign country and do not have health insurance here. I really would like to know what it may be and if it's normal. I'm not sure that it really moves at all when I touch it, but I'm sure that it has not grown at all. Which is why I think it could be a bone. Please help!
 samson - Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 am

I have been dealing with real bad tension headaces for about three years. What is being described here are some of my symptoms as well. I will start with a headache that intesifies, dry eyes and sensativity to light, my mood irritable, soreness in my neck and where I have what I would describe as a knot just under the base of my skull to the right of my vertabre. I get great soreness on this area and when I press on it I get some relief from my headache. My head hurt so bad the other night I pressed so hard and left pressure on it that the headache went away for the most part. The knot is always there but seems to be swollen when having the other symptoms. My Dr. prescribes meds for pain and inflamation which helps, but no diagnosis and I am the only one who seems to be able to feel this knot. I can't afford expensive test either, but did get xrays of my spine and everything looked fine except for some spasms in the middle of my shoulder blades. HoweverI wasn't haveing symptoms at the time. This seems to happen when my body is stressed or fatigued. I go through spells maybe three/four times a year.
Anyone get any answers or diagnoses yet? Please help or post to my comment.
 CassWys - Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi, I have the same thing and I've had it for probably about 4-5 years or so now(at least that's when I first noticed it). It is a small hard bump at the back of my neck under the skin, not noticable just by looking and I can't feel it if my neck is perfectly straight. It is right around the hairline, right under where the head would be considered to start right about the middle of the back of the neck, but slightly to the right. I think it still moves a little bit but not too much and it is definitely hard. It causes me quite a bit of discomfort and a lot of shooting pains and twinges in my neck and into my head. My neck is also very sore all the time. Anyone know what this could be?
 debbiem582007 - Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:27 pm

I have just found a hard very tender lump in the back of my neck. It is in what i've always referred to as the litre (not sure on sp.) that runs up the back of your neck on either side. It is about the size of a half dollar and I have had family member check to see if there was any sign of it being a bite of some sort and they said that there isn't. It is very tender in what appears to be the center, and less so moving outward. I only found it today, but have not felt well for a couple of day's and have been exceptionally tired. I'm not sure if there is any connection here or not. I also feel slightly light headed. I am obviously concerned about this. Any information that you may provide as to what this could possibly be would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
 ouches - Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:30 am

I've been ill for a year and half. I have them all up one side of my neck for at least 3 months now. they are to the side and back near the hairline. they are posterior lymph nodes. Generally they react to mono, cat scratch fever, and sometimes cancer so i was informed yesterday by my surgeon. I have to go in for biopsies and have an entire lymph node removed to be tested.
 serene_1973 - Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Hello. I would like some advice from anyone please.

I suffer from cysts on my head that show up from time to time for some years now. A cyst developed and broke on the back of my head about an inch away from where the rim of my glasses come behind my ear.

For the past several days I have been suffering from a stiff neck and diarrhea and passed it off to some type of flu like or viral symptom until I was rubbing the back of my neck last night where I located a tender, hard knot on the back of my neck next to my spine. It is about the size of a dime and stationary. Along with some tenderness, when I press lightly down on it, sharp subte pains shoot up my head, down the top part of my neck and slight burning sensation is felt.

This is something new that I haven't experienced. What could this possibly be?

Signed, Not sure whether to freak out yet or not.

|