News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Oncology Answers List

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: Found a lump near Anus

matthew111 - Thu May 19, 2005 8:52 pm

I found a lump probably a while back now, could be 2 months and I really never thought anything of it. So last week I come across it again and it is still there. Its under the skin near the anus and feels quite hard. It is smaller than pea sized

There is no visable lump on the outside of the skin but its just under the skin, although there is a slight discolour on that area, I see bit of purple I believe. Also it gets soar sometimes, especially when I keep feeling to see if it has gotten bigger or smaller

Could it be serious? Because it hasn't really got any bigger or changed for a while now, it just hasn't gone away! If it was serious wouldn't it of gotten much bigger in the past few months?

I am Only 20 years old and live a very healthy life style, eating healthy and physically fit.

Thanks

Matt
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri May 20, 2005 1:16 am

User avatar Hi there,
I would recommend you get it checked out. There are several possibilities for anal lumps beside cancer:

External Haemorrhoid
Prolapsed Internal Haemorrhoid
Strangulated Haemorrhoid
Perianal Haematoma
Anal Tags
Anal Polyps
Anal Warts or Anal Condylomas
Anal Abscesses

Whether it turns looks like its serious or not it should be checked out and the proper therapy given.
 matthew111 - Fri May 20, 2005 2:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply !

It's sort of re-assurance to hear that there are many possibilities and since anal cancer is very rare, it is probably likely to be one of those you have listed.

I have mentioned it to my father but the only thing stopping me from going to the doctor is the embarrisment of it (I guess that is common)

I will go to the doctor monday and update you on what it turns out to be !

Thanks
 matthew111 - Tue May 24, 2005 5:38 pm

Went to the doctors. I think I've overcome the embarrisment of telling doctors anything now lol. But anyway.. It was a Haemorrhoid and I have cream for it.

Can't believe I got really stressed out over nothing!.

I'm a really health conscious person, I wonder if being too conscious about health is a bad thing, as most of the times i've been to doctors now they keep saying I always turn out to be fine.

Anyway, Thanks for the advice !

Matt

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here