Forum Name: Head and Neck Cancer

Question: Lumps on head and right behind ear

becki - Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:12 am

Four days ago i noticed one lump behind my left ear right behind the bone that runs there, then later that day i noticed three more above it. they were at first kind of big and hurt to touch or to move neck a certain way. i had gotten stung in the top of the head by a red wasp (which i am allergic to) the day before the lumps popped up so i thought maybe it was because of that. i have been taken benadryl for 5 days now and the lumps are still there. the one that first popped up is now the size of an M & M and the other 3 seem to be a little bigger. they are real sore feeling when i first wake up then durning the day the pain kind of goes away then comes back later that afternoon. i am really freaked out about this. i have no idea of what it might me. i have no other signs of illness that i have noticed. please help me figure this mystery out and ease my mind a little. i am not the kind of person that really freaks out about stuff like this but this really worries me. if anyone has anything like this or knows what it could be please please let me know. thanks and God Bless !
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:39 pm

The postauricular lymph nodes are located behind the ears. They drain the external auditory meatus, pinna, scalp. Common causes of enlargement include local infection.

Sometimes, following infection lymph nodes occasionally remain permanently enlarged, though they should be non-tender, small (less the 1 cm), have a rubbery consistency and none of the characteristics described for malignancy or for infection. These are also known as 'Shotty Lymph nodes'.

If you are still concerned have a doctor check it out.

|