Forum Name: Cancer of Unknown Primary

Question: What are these pea sized lumps?

HappyMommy - Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:55 pm

I have found several hard and movable pea sized lumps over the past 6 months. I did have my family doc look at them and he said after feeling it for a second they were lipomas. However he said lipomas are always present and never hurt. These come and go, mostly during my period and I do have pain. The most pain comes right before I find one. The area gets sore and then it feels like a pulling apart of the skin and then there it is...a small pea. I have one above my belly button. I got one above my gallbladder and one over my stomach after having an ultrasound. Then I got one in my arm pit. Then during my period I got two of them side by side above my breast in the chest area (where your straps would fall on a swim suit). I want to believe lipoma because they are nothing to worry about but I don't seem to follow the lipoma rules. I did have my skin doc look at them too but she had no idea. So please give a chronic worrier some new info or maybe the type of doctor I should see about these. Thank you!!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:42 pm

User avatar Dear HappyMommy,

Clinical examination is essential for the initial evaluation of any lump. If these lesions are though to be lipomas, then the condition could be of
Familial Multiple Lipomas.
When a of groups of fat cells in the subcutaneous tissues grow spontaneously forming fatty lumps under the skin, the condition is known as lipoma.

The condition is benign. This condition is thought to be of genetic factor.

Patients with this disease present with multiple small fatty subcutaneous nodules which are usually painless. Their number and distribution is different, mainly on the arms, forearms, legs and trunk but may be also in the neck, face and buttocks.

There different variables of the disease like Adiposis Dolorosa when there is a large painful lipomatous lesion.
These lesions can be easily diagnosed clinically. US can help in the diagnosis.

If these lesions are suspicious NFAC can confirm the diagnosis or excisional biopsy.

The disease seldom needs treatment, surgical removal is recommended only for large lesions causing problems.

Hope you find this information useful.

|