Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Lump in armpit

backandforth12 - Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:56 pm

Hello, I'm a very concerned 18 year old female. 4 days ago I found a small lump about the size of a pea at the top of my right armpit, which literally popped up over night with no preceeding pain. The lump now seems to have gotten slightly bigger, but this may be because I am touching it and pinching it, I'm not sure. It is a little painful when I apply pressure to it and I get a few twinges when I move my arm about or lean on it. When I lift my arm it protrudes quite a lot and is hard and quite red, although again this might be because I keep touching it. I think I might have shaved with a blunt razor recently but somehow it doesn't feel like that, although I don't actually know what that would feel like as I've never had it before. My mum had lymphoma a few years ago and I'm really afraid I have the same thing, although her's was not found in the armpit. I don't want to worry her for obvious reasons, so is there a period of time I should leave it to see if it disappears or should I go to the doctor immediately? I don't know how fast cancer can spread. I'm really worried and any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you!

ps. I've fairly recently changed to a stronger antiperspirant due to excessive sweating, could this have caused a problem?
 Jalalali - Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:47 am

Lumps in the armpit have various causes. Cysts and superficial infections in the skin of the armpit may be due to shaving or use of antiperspirants (as opposed to deodorants). Abscesses under the skin may also produce large, painful lumps in the armpit.

Lumps may be produced by lymph nodes enlarged due to bacterial infections, viral infections, vaccinations, and malignancy.

Check with your health care provider to determine the nature of the lump.

|