Forum Name: Lymphoma

Question: Enlarged lymph nodes in the lungs.

teiten75 - Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:18 am

This has been the longest 3 months in my life. What started as a simple chest x-ray to check for an enlarged heart (I have high BP) the radiologist spotted a few small nodules. I was then told to have a CT scan. The results of that were the nodules were too small to be tested. Now the DR has something new to tell me. I have slightly enlarged lymph nodes in my lungs. Prior to the first x-ray I suffered the most severe bout of bronchittus I had ever had in my life. The doctors did not think that my lymph nodes would be enlarged by it. It was about 6 months ago that I had that infection. Now that was said, the DR referres me to a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist suggested i have another CT scan to see if any change in the size of the lymph nodes had changed. Fortunatelly no they had not changed in 3 months. So, the concern is still there so I asked the DR what my next step would be. He said we should monitor them for the next 2 years. I said no, I want to know more now. A PET scan was done. The results of the scan showed some metabolic activity in the nodes. Now a biopsy is needed. My question is could some kind of infection for example - - - I have molars in my mouth that have absessed and decayed below my gums. Could this affect the nodes in my lungs? Should I pursue a biopsy or should I get a second opinion.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sitting on Pins and Needles,

Todd Eitenmiller
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:15 am

User avatar Hi teiten75,
Submental lymph node enlargement
Located just below the chin. It drains the lower lip, floor of mouth, teeth, submental salivary gland, tip of tongue, skin of cheek. Common causes of enlargement include mononucleosis syndromes, Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis, dental pathology such as periodontitis. In my opinion this would be the location of enlarged lymph nodes if this was related to your dental health.
I hope that you have pursued the biopsy of the "lung nodules."

|