doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Orthopedics

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Orthopedic Topics

Question: loss of hand strength

gomila - Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:41 pm

Serveral months ago I noticed a marked loss of hand strength. It is not severe such that I cannot use my hands in ordinary ways. However there is a general decline in strength that iis perturbing. For example: I used to be able to open and close very tightly a soda bottle. However, even though I can still open and close it, I cannot close it tightly. And when I try to open/close it, it is mildly painful. In fact most tasks that require mild hand exertion, which before were unnoticible to me, are now noticibly painful. I find that I now avoid exerting my hand muscles quite often.

I think the onset might be related to a two week period of excessive moving work which I had engaged in but I am not sure--it seems I started noticing the problem towards the end of that period. I have also noticed that little dings like hitting my elbow against the wall, stubbing my toe, scraping my knuckles againt something, etc. is much more painful then it used to be. I'm not sure if this increased sensitivity to pain is related to the hand weakness.

I'm wondering what the cause of this might be and whether there is a remedy. I'm only thirty years old and am a do-it-yourselfer. The loss of hand strength has been quite upsetting. Yet, I'm concerned about being able to convince a doctor about it since I'm a petite female and since the loss is not severe. Is there a way a doctor can confirm such a thing without having a measure of my strength prior to this happening?

Thank you,
Mila
HeatherCatlady - Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:06 am

Hello there..

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulities with your hands. I was wondering. First, have you seen any doctors about this, as it has been nearly 3 months since your post. Have you had any changes since your first post? If you have been seen by a doctor, did s/he test for carpal tunnel syndrome? There is a test that can determine if there is a loss in nerve conduction (EMG). This is usually done by a neurologist if I am not mistaken. Please update on any developments with your hands.

Best of luck to you,
gomila - Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:10 pm

IThanks for your input! have not seen a doctor yet as I have not sorted out my medical insurance. I thought it might be CTS, but I have noticed that the loss of strength is not limited to my hands and every bump and fall just seems to hurt much more then it used to. I hope to see a doctor next month.

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.