Question: did i break or bruise my rib, or is it a muscle strain ?

mckaig - Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:01 am

My rib feels bruised to the touch at the center right middle front side. It hurts to breathe,at the end of a deep inhale, not so much anymore(been a week). I had done some serious drilling where I had used my chest to press down repeatedly for a total of 6 hours over 3 days. I noticed the pain the day after my last 3 hour stint. The 2nd day after finishing I didn't feel any pain. My concern that it wasn't just muscle soreness started the 3rd day when I had pain breathing after deep breathes all day. Thinking it was just muscle pain, I played volleyball(serious/real volleyball) at the end of the 3rd day. The pain became more severe throughout the playing time. I couldn't stop, because i'm a freak. That night I had difficulty laying flat on my back, because the right side hurt when I laid down. I also noticed the breathing pain at the end of every bigger, full breath. The pain subsided a little more each day, came back a little more day 6, played vball 7th night, played again 10th night (today), and here I am. The pain is still there at the end of deep breathes, dull though. Sneezes still mess me up the worst. Painful to the touch, tender bruised feeling, no discoloring on my rib, just below right nipple. Really difficult to spike ball tonight, had to swing at 20-35% with right arm. Oh yeah, I'm between jobs and refuse to see a doc, due to insurance. Oddly enough I'm against universal healthcare. Feel free to share you're thoughts on all of it.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:40 am

User avatar Hi mckaig,
From your description it sounds as though you may have some muscle overexertion..So in my opinion, I would be inclined to consider muscle strain.
 Dr. A. Saif - Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:16 pm

User avatar Hi there,

Working in country that has universal healthcare, I hope you will entertain my response. Rntdj, is as always absolutely right. The pain seems mechanical, (movement hurts), and related to your chest wall (you can find a tender spot which is giving you trouble). Where you seem to localise the pain is related to the intercostal muscles and moves with breathing, and particaularly violently when sneezing. Several of the muscles that move your shoulder (Pecs, lats) attach to you chest wall, hence you difficulty spiking the ball...

It is possibly muscular, traumatic costochondritis, might even be a cracked rib... treatment is the same. Painkillers and rest. If playing basket ball hurts... stop for a while, if sneezing hurts avoid pepper, and if breathing hurts... hmmm... that might be tricky...

Saif
 carlverr - Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:46 am

I had an accident 2 weeks ago and still having minor pain in lower rib.

How did your go? Was it a broken rib or just a bruise and how did it went away?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Carl
 Sore ribs - Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:56 am

I strained my intercostal muscle(s) on the left side just over a week ago and am still experiencing much pain. I happened because I was overzealous with the intentions to get back into an exercise routine, as I had fallen out of the habit for the last few years. I decided to work hard and do my old routine I used to do some years back regularly. Part of what I did was 300 sit-ups. (Three types, 100 each.) The last ones were the upper abdomen type where you twist to touch the opposite knee. The next day I woke up with intense pain and could hardly sit up. Bending or moving in anyway was extremely painful. Walking even hurt, just from the movement. Reaching for anything with my arm is excruiciating. Breathing hurt. I couldn't get a deep breath. I could only sleep on my back and had to have my back on higher pillows because breathing was harder. Any other position was impossible. Coughing or sneezing very painful. Sharp pains in my left chest side and even felt sounded like popping noise when I moved slightly. After 4 days, on the 5th day I went to a doctor. (Concerned I may have a rib out.) X-rays were done and I was told there was no fracture or rib out. That it was intercostsal muscle strain. That was Monday. It is now Saturday morning and I am still in pain, though it has slightly decreased. Also, I am now able to turn a little and not sleep flat on my back. Before, that was impossible. I still am having continual pain in my left chest. Front and side. How long will this take to go away? How long should I wait before I attempt exercising again? Particularly sit-ups?
 raven848 - Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:40 am

I am glad I found this place. This morning I woke up and felt like I had bruised my chest. There was no mark so I figured I slept weird. Throughout the day at work it hurt real bad. Sneezes were the worst. If I take a halfway deep breath it hurts....if I move certain ways it hurts, and it hurts to touch, right around my right nipple. I saw the post similar to this and it was suggested to be muscle strain or even a bruised rib.... but I did nothing yesterday or this morning to bring this on. I did just move but that was 2 weeks ago now. I literally woke up this morning hurting this bad. Could I have done it sleeping? I switched beds at 6am (girlfriend up for work) and was woken up anhour early by my phone going off. I don't remember straining or doing anything odd. Any help?
 raven848 - Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:48 am

ok, I just went back to "the scene of the crime". It was my first time sleeping on this couch at all and the shelf next to it is a little high. When my phone rang and woke me up I think I halfway jumped up and reached for the phone. I just laid down and did how i thought I would get the phone and it REALLY hurt. Could I really have done this just from reaching for the phone like that? What is the treatment now and how long until it stops hurting lke this?? Thanks for any help............. jason
 Sore ribs - Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:09 am

It has been three months since I posted last. The pain I had lasted for a long time. I could not stick with an abdominal exercise program because of the pain. I think I am just now ready to do that. It has improved greatly, especially recently. Through the summer, when I started trying sit-ups again, the pain would start back. It seems to be much better, though I feel soreness if I strain there at all. I know it can only get better as long as I don't overdo it. I will take it easy for awhile and go gradually. Just wanted to bring an update, since you asked. By the way, glad you figured out what caused your pain.
I will say that soaking in a tub of warm water with Epsom salts is wonderfully soothing.
 Alfon60 - Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:32 pm

I'm 62 and had an accident a week ago. I hurt a rib with the seat belt although it didn't break. When it has began to hurt really bad is now a week later. Is it normal? Is Nolotil capsules a solution? When will it stop hurting? Thanks

|