News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: When is collarbone broken vs. bruised

slazinger_7 - Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:58 pm

I fell on my shoulder Sunday afternoon playing soccer - it was pretty painful, but it didn't cause me to exit the game. At halftime I noticed it was sore and I iced a bump along my clavicle. I proceeded to play the second half. My shoulder was very sore that night and I had limited movement/flexibility. The bump is along the clavicle near near the AC joint and was fairly noticeable (you could definitely feel). I continued to ice on/off 20-30 min the rest of Sunday. It was stiff Monday morning and the bump was still there, but the soreness gradually went away throughout the day. I iced it again after work Monday night and it felt very good on Tuesday (most of my range of motion was back - only certain movements like pulling tape from a dispenser caused discomfort). It also looked like the swelling was down. So I decided to play soccer Tuesday evening w/ some discomfort, but not enough to stop playing. Today it is sore again and it seems like the bump is bigger. The bone itself feels connected/consistent (compared to my other should/clavicle), except for the bump. I can press on the bump with some discomfort, but not excruciating pain. I would think if it were broken, I would be in a lot of paint (and wouldn't be able to play soccer). I haven't really noticed any bruising 3 days later. I had a friend who broke his collarbone in high school (almost through the skin) and he was in tears until they numbed it - so maybe I am being paranoid. Should this be the case? Or is it possible the bone is just bruised?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:30 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would x-ray the shoulder and AC joint and clavicle to see if there is a clavicle fracture and view the AC joint for dislocation.
It probably is a minor AC sprain or dislocation and will resolve with rest, analgesics, ice and gradual return to activity...but have a physician take a look at it for a correct diagnosis.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here