doctorslounge.com

Powered by
Careerbuilder

Home  |  Forums  |  Humor  |  Advertising  |  Contact
   Ask a Doctor

News via RSS

Newsletter

Orthopedics

News

Conferences

CME

Forum Archives

Diseases

Symptoms

Labs

Procedures

Drugs

Links

Specialties

Cardiology

Dermatology

Endocrinology

Fertility

Gastroenterology

Gynecology

Hematology

Infections

Nephrology

Neurology

Oncology

Orthopedics

Pediatrics

Pharmacy

Primary Care

Psychiatry

Pulmonology

Rheumatology

Surgery

Urology

Other Sections

Membership

Research Tools

Medical Tutorials

Medical Software

The Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Orthopedic Topics

Question: knee clicking sound no pain

Veronica - Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:03 pm

I teach aerobics part time and am very active.

Two days ago after the gym I noticed my left knee making a click sound whenever I went up the stairs. This only happpens when I go up the stairs or if I am doing a squat or lunge type movement.

There is no pain but the sound is quite disturbing as I have never heard it before. I did not do anything at the gym that night that was any different.

I also do a lot of skipping for cardio and wondered if that is beginning to damage my knee. Should I be concerned about this and get it checked out even though there is no pain or swelling?
saif - Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:10 pm

Dear Veronica,

The vast majority of clicky knees are not associated with any significant pathology within the knee. Occassionally torn menisci, damage to the joint surface, or a fold within the knee (called a plica) can cause the clicks. These are worth treating if they are associated with pain, swelling or instability (the knee giving way). You clearly are atheletic, and do enough activity to sustain any of these injuries, but as I say the vast majority of such clicks are completely harmless, and without the above features would not warrant any further investigation or treatment.

Regards

Saif
Veronica - Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:17 pm

Dear Saif,

Thank you so much for your reply! It has been about a month since me knee started doing this and today was the first day that it has stopped making that sound! I simply stopped doing any sort of high impact exercise and all lunges and squats for the time being.

I think the rest really helped out and I am going to give my knee one more week of rest and than I am back at it next week.

ANyway thanks again...I am jst thrilled that it was nothing too serious. I am only 28 and the thought of screwing up my knees at such a young age, and having to stop doing the activities I love to do was just terrifying!!!
marons23 - Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:49 pm

hi-Thank you for the information posted to Veronica about her knee clicking last March. I recently am experiencing the same thing in my right knee and it's primarily when I walk DOWN stairs. I am also very active..runner; skier; play basketball. It's weird there is no pain, but the sound is definitely disturbing. I was just about to make an appointment with a doctor until I read this posting. Thank you so much. It's reassuring to know there is nothing seriously wrong (I am 'young' also-29 and the idea of knee issues scared me!)

send to a friend

Are you a doctor or a nurse?

Do you want to join the Doctors Lounge online medical community?

Participate in editorial activities (publish, peer review, edit) and give a helping hand to the largest online community of patients.

Click on the link below to see the requirements:

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.
We subscribe to the HONcode principles. Verify here

Privacy Statement | Terms & Conditions | Editorial Board | About us
Copyright 2001-2007 The Doctors Lounge. All rights reserved.