Question: Weird lump in wrist

agobeil - Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:50 am

I've been having a problem with my wrist for the last few months. On top of my wrist (NOT the palm side) I had a lump under my skin that is only visible when I bend my hand downward. When I am holding my wrist straight, I can't feel or see the bump at all. It isn't rubbery or soft, it pretty much feels like a bone. If I had to guess, I'd say it WAS a bone. Could I have fractured my wrist somehow? Maybe one of the carpal bones? My wrist doesn't hurt normally, but if I bend my hand downwards to see the bump it feels a tiny bit sore. Any help would be appreciated.
 JenevaRN - Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:15 pm

It may be a ganglion cyst, which develops usually on the tendon on the back of the wrist. It may disappear on it's own, or it can be treated by draining it (with or without a shot of cortisone). Occasionally they need to be surgically removed.
 brianbungle - Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:50 pm

I wonder how this turned out? I have a lump that that is not related to an injury that I would describe almost exactly as agobeil has. My wrist was hurting when I bent it at a 90 degree angle and more if I put pressure on it at that angle, but otherwise didn't hurt. Then I noticed the lump, described exactly as agobeil did, that is between where the arm ends and the hand begins.

Everything I read is all about ganglion cysts but there is little to describe the difference between what one of those are like vs. what a bone tumor or other tumor would be like. I have also read about calcium buildup and other things. I am not a person who usually assumes the worst it's hard not to at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
 kiminovanilla88 - Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:51 pm

Wow... Reading this is strange. I have the exact same thing with my left wrist. I only recently started noticing the lump though when I bend my wrist down. Prior, for the last two years, my wrist will hurt begin hurting maybe once a month, once every two months. When it did hurt, the pain was excruciating, but only when bending my wrist up and down. When I bent my wrist down when it hurt like this, I could see the bump VERY pronounced and a dent right above it. These little episodes come of gradually and randomly, there's nothing to set them off and there's been no injury in the past to my wrist. It will last for a few days, then go away on it's own. But lately, I can see the bump whether my wrist is hurting or not. I've read all the stuff about the ganglyon cysts, but its really hard. It feels more like a bone than a cyst. But it's just on one side.
Have you found out what it is yet? I'm going to see a doctor soon, but I don't have insurance, so I may have to turn down x-rays or MRI's.
 markopolo - Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:13 pm

agobeil

i had the same thing that you had and my went off from me n since that i didnt had anything like that on me wrist

and if you don't bother it you wont think about or touch it
it will help you to relax and to get you to do what ever you
do in your spare time
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 pm

With a very hard lump on the back of the hand that may not be a ganglion cyst, I would x-ray the hand to see if this is a bony abnormality.
Otherwise, a ganglion cyst is very likely and is treated with drainage and corticosteroid injection or surgical removal.
 mbtruth - Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:28 am

I am new to this, but recently I have been having pain in my left wrist when i bend it. At first it seemed like a stiff joint and people were telling me it might be carpel tunnel. Two weeks later, the pain went away, but shortly returned. I had x-rays done but I haven't gotten a word on them and its been 3 weeks. Just recently I bent my wrist and had excruciating pain and saw a bump on the back of my wrist EXACTLY how agobeil and kiminovanilla88 did. I also noticed a dent in front of the bump when I bend my wrist. I do not know why or how this happened, especially considering that I am barely 18 and I do not type a lot, or even put strain on my wrist. I am worried that I will need surgery since my health insurance will end in a few months. Is there anything else aside from the ganglia cyst (sp) that might be a problem?

p.s. I dod not have any injury on my wrist either.
 mbtruth - Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:27 pm

So after reading these posts and seeing I had the same thing you guys had I decided to do some research. I thought that it might be ganglion cyst but realized that the bump for it is soft and filled with liquid. My bump was hard like a bone. So after much research I came to a conclusion that it might be Carpal Boss. It shows the same symptoms I and others here have and I am making an appointment with my doctor for a confirmation. The bad thing is that it has to be surgically removed. But hope this answers other people's question.

|