Question: fever 5 days

Archiebald - Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:53 am

My son has been sick for 5 days with fever ranging from 99-102
I brought him to ped the 2nd day he had no symptoms, they told me it was a virus. On day 4 I brought him back to ped he now has red throat and pus on tonsillis, they checked for strep it was negative, they told me to just give motrin.tynenol as needed, is there anything we should be concerned with?
He is very congested. He is acting great, even when fever s up he is happy and eating and drinking,

Just want to make sure we are not missing anything, dr wants to see him again on Monday fever does not go away.

Thanks for your imput, I get very nervous over fevers

I have never had a child have a fever so long, anything you can suggest
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 pm

User avatar Hi, sorry for the delay in answering your questions. How old is your son?

It is not uncommon for viral infections to cause fevers for several days. Most viruses are getting better by about 7 days. Another important question is: Did your son have a fever every day for the past five days or only a few out of the 5 days but continues to get them?

There are a few syndromes that are important to recognize that present with high fevers for at least five days. The most well known of these is Kawasaki's disease. If your child has a high fever (>102 degrees F) for 5 days in a row, it's a good idea to have him checked by your pediatrician for other signs of Kawasaki's.

Having said that, viruses much more commonly cause fever than does Kawasaki's.

I hope your son is feeling better. Let us know if you have any other questions.
 Archiebald - Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Thanks for your response, my sons fever broke on sunday and is feeling better

|